Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must replace my 92 351w, the previous owner had a supercharger on it and the engine could not handle it, @ 66k miles the engine gave in and was rebuilt, I bought it w/77k miles and now with 80k I blew a rod right out of the oil pan..... I posted last week asking about any suggestions to swap it with a lightning motor, a shop told me that it is complicated and not worth it, suggested replacing the engine and adding a Vorotech supercharger??
What are your thoughts about superchargers? Is it too much for a stock engine to handle? I have a pop up camper mounted on top with many extras, it's a real expedition vehicle and my priority is reliability with torque and maybe improve the gas milage. With all the added weight it is pretty slow going up hill in the mountains and gas is terrible. Do you know if all 92 to 96 351w engines are the same as a replacement for my 92???
If the supercharger is a good idea, where is the best place to locate one for sale, maybe a used one?
Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions.

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
first off yes i do believe 351s will interchange between the years, most stock motors wont handle the power some superchargers give, when i had my stang i blew the stock 302 up about 9k of putting one on, so i sold it not haveing the funds or time to fix it, yes superchargers are a good thing, just make sure it dosent require modification to your motor to work properly, i read the manual with my old one and i needed to go to a high comp piston and some other things which i didnt do, but yeah go for it just dont buy a used one they tend to be bad news from some of the horror stories i have heard

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
ok, hold up a sec... a supercharger can be a good thing, and can also be a bad thing, same as Nitrous. Everything depends on how it's setup from the get go. If you're talking about SC'ing a stock motor, you want to set it up for lower amounts of boost. If you're wanting the max from one, you will need to get into the motor and use lower compression pistons, sealed-power rings, shorter duration cam, etc... it's all in how you set it up. The amount of boost is relative to engine setup. This is why they make different pulleys for how fast the "blower" pushes air. Best suggestion would be to talk to a reputable local race shop for a more more specific information.

Personally, I don't know why you'd need to SC a Bronco motor... you want low end torque, not high end horsepower...

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Tomh971 said:
Personally, I don't know why you'd need to SC a Bronco motor... you want low end torque, not high end horsepower...
Yeah, everything Tom said was pretty right on. There's a lot to consider when going forced induction, you've got also got fuel issues to adjust so it's getting more fuel for the increase in air being pumped through the engine.

As far as other 351s, should be the same for ya. A good built 351W shouldn't have any problems moving around with your camper.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
If you are after reliabilty and some economy then I would ditch the supercharger and concentrate on a good 351 build. The forced induction is going to add complexity to your machine and will not ease field maintenence, IMO. So, I would focus the cash on a decent build of that motor and it should generate plenty of torque even with a heavy load.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
If you are going to put a supercharger on it, don't use budget parts. Get a strong strong crank, your bottom end is what has to hold up. A Scat crank is really good. The you want to upgrade the C-rods, Scat makes those too. Then pistons, get forged, Coast High Performance, Probe, D.S.S., FRPP all make good forged pistons. Hardened pushrods. With all that you should be fine. I wouldn't put on a Vortech, you have to tap into the oil pan for that, Prochargers are self-oiling and requires no oil pan tap. Powerdyne makes a pretty worthless supercharger unless you get lucky. Paxton is good for carb blow-thru setups.

·
Go Navy!
710 Posts
I wouldn't s/c the motor. You will have to burn 91 or better octane no matter what plus you will not see that much performance increase on such a heavy vehicle that needs low-end anyway. If however you do decide to go s/c make sure that if you use stock internals(crank, rods, etc.) DO NOT go above 6 psi. That is about all the boost they can handle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can see both sides of the forced induction debate. The big thing with a S/C or a turbo is NEED to monitor what's going on in the motor. The major reason things blow up is a air/fuel mix that's on the lean side and therefore runs hotter, which is what leads to the problems. Properly monitored you'll know when your motor starts to experience detonation and bring it back from there. I personally think a supercharger is a great addition to any vehicle, if you know what you're doing.

Steve

PS Prior to the Bronco, I ran a mid-performance turbo AWD talon so I know a little about a little. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts