Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '96 351 with the 5.8L and stock gears. This is my daily driver, so how bad would it bogg down with stock gears and 35's? How much worse would my gas millage be?

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
It's slow but it works. I like the gear setup with my ZF but I ditched my E4OD before I had 35's. If you search you'll find a lot of answers, comments and concerns with this setup. It's probably the most common tire/transmission question

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,826 Posts
You will notice a difference in power for sure. The actual MPG difference would only be 1-2 MPG, but at the pump it will read way more because your speedometer/odometer will be off. Faster/less miles than you are actually going. My main concern with me running this setup is my transmission. I really dont like to have it in overdrive because although the rpm's are lower on the highway, the engine and transmission are both working much harder to keep the truck moving. I just slow it down and keep it in 3rd. My MPGs are about 2 MPG less using this method (which I am using until I get 4.56 gears). I would rather pay at the pump right now than to have to rebuilt my E4OD.

The biggest thing you will notice will be the braking power. Be prepared to start stepping on the brakes much sooner than you are now.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,826 Posts
potentially. Youre putting stress on the tranny. The engine isnt reving as high (isnt in the sweet spot) and you are still moving same 5500lb brick that has a huge wind resistance. Lower gearing (4.56s in my case) will bring the engine back into the stock sweet spot RPM and make it easier to move and keep the truck moving.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darn. I guess I dont want to run stock gears then. I cant take that chance. :( About how much do they cost to buy and have someone install them?

·
Registered
198 Posts
my tranny lasted six months with stock gears and 36's then one day at a stop sign it blew fluid everywhere worst part was that it was an E4od,much happier now with new tranny and 4:88 gears

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
my stock tranny lasted...well, it's still in the truck. i ran 35's and 3.55 for maybe 30K miles and it's still there after I've regeared to 4.56.

The way I look at it, if the transmission goes out because of the tires, it would have failed anyway.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Expect 10 or so MPG. Nothing on the bottom end, and it will be hard to keep any sort of speed on any incline. Last time I took my truck through the local pass here (6% grade) and couldn't keep a speed over 55 MPH. Wouldn't be so bad but cars and even some trucks were passing me at 80-90 MPH.

Also expect to have extra wear on U-Joints and the yolk on the rear axle.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i have ran 36s with stock gears and have noticed a substantial power loss as well as the engine and tranny working harder to get started (the truck doesnt have any balls its just so slow coming off the line) i agree plan on regearing soon after thats what im doing in a coule of weeks and cant wait!

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,797 Posts
My '95 with 351/E4OD and 33's sucked ass, so I couldn't imagine what 35's would do to it. It would bog down going over a freeway overpass. I had a set of "commuter tires" mounted on the stock rims and would switch back and forth when needed, so I really noticed the difference.

How many miles are on your E4OD? I wouldn't do it if you have more then 100K, but that depends on how it has been maintained over it's life. Don't do it if there is any doubt or question about the trans - because you'll BBQ it in a heartbeat.

I'm running 4.56 and 35's now - and love the combo. I'm getting 12 - 13 mpg with the sixlitre tune up, bassani headers, bassani Y and 3" exhaust. I just did a 1100 mile round trip road trip with that combination and that's what I averaged.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Huge ass cooler on the E4OD for sure.

Also, 1k is a CHEAP price for getting gears set up. There's a vendor here that just started offering nice package prices for gears F&R with master install kits. The 8.8 isn't bad, but the TTB has to be just about completely disassembled to do the gears in it, and while you're in there, you might as well do a few other things too.

If you have to ask about gears, IMO, you aren't capable of doing them yourself. Theres tolerances that have to be within the thousandths of an inch , not hundreds IIRC, or else you'll trash them.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,826 Posts
Huge ass cooler on the E4OD for sure.

Also, 1k is a CHEAP price for getting gears set up. There's a vendor here that just started offering nice package prices for gears F&R with master install kits. The 8.8 isn't bad, but the TTB has to be just about completely disassembled to do the gears in it, and while you're in there, you might as well do a few other things too.

If you have to ask about gears, IMO, you aren't capable of doing them yourself. Theres tolerances that have to be within the thousandths of an inch , not hundreds IIRC, or else you'll trash them.

what else would you recommend to do to the 44 while its apart?

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
It drive like crap and wont get out of its own way. I took out one tranny with this set up now I dont drive the truck unless I have too. 4.88s are going in the end of the month. if you do it keep the truck outta overdrive.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts