Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...first off, let me say thank you to every one here. This site and the members here have been a great source of info for a first time bronco owner.

----Brown noser mode off----

This is only my second Ford. My first was my Mustang. When I did the engine swap in my Mustang I did it with the tranny attatched.

I did the engine swap in my Bronco without pulling the c6. When I put the new engine in everything went fine until I started putting things away and thats when I saw the spacer sitting under my Mustang :banghead

So my question is simple. How important is this spacer?? Can I survive without it or do I need to pull the engine again to put it in??

PS.... I'm talking about the spacer that goes between the block and the bell housing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes you need it....it helps space the starter...pull the engine and put it in.

i kinda figured that. just wanted to make sure. :banghead

Oh well. I learned something I guess.

Maybe I can just pull the starter and find a couple washers the same thickness as the spacer to shim the starter?? :rofl: I'm kidding of course.

Thanks for the reply. I now have a project to redo :doh0715:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, do I feel sympathetic towards you right now. :duh
Thanks. Its ok....just a few wasted hours. :cry Like I said, I learned something. Learned it the hard way....but nothing new there :rofl:

When I pull it again I'll have help putting it back together so it should go a little quicker.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Since this has been brought up it brings something to my attention.I just bought a 85 donor bronco for my 86 bronco.It has a 351w and a C-6.The starter was loud as he..
Man said he put a new flywheel on and it looks like it,but low and behold I read this post and realize I dont have that plate either.I guess my question is should I ?

Thanks Steve

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Are you guyes talking about the backing plate that goes in front of the flywheel? I can't seem to think of anything else other than that plate that goes between the bellhousing and the block...?

Just wanna make sure were talking about the same thing...

KC

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you guyes talking about the backing plate that goes in front of the flywheel? I can't seem to think of anything else other than that plate that goes between the bellhousing and the block...?

Just wanna make sure were talking about the same thing...

KC

Yes. This is the one:

I was also told that there is a difference between the plates for a manual and the one for an automatic transmission. True?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
That'd be da one sir!

Not sure about the auto/manual tranny differneces... I would assume they are the same. The one thing I can tell you is that when I used a motor out of a manual transmission truck, the dowl pins that line up the motor/tranny were different than the autos. By that I mean the dowels were in the same places and I had to drive one of them out in order to allow the motor out of the manual truck to fit into the bronco with the automatic transmission.

Like I said, I don't know, but I assume the backing plate is the same on either or because it really wouldn't make sense for Ford to make 2 different styles (manual or auto), or at least from a production/money standpoint.

IIRC, when I did swap motors, I am pretty sure I used the backing plate from the manual because I never took the one off of the other original motor.

KC

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That'd be da one sir!

Like I said, I don't know, but I assume the backing plate is the same on either or because it really wouldn't make sense for Ford to make 2 different styles (manual or auto), or at least from a production/money standpoint.

KC
Yeah, that didn't sound right to me either considering that it goes between the block and fly wheel. I don't see why it wold be different from auto to manual.

I'm going to get into my Mustang tomorrow and see if there is a plate in there. Should be since its got a Lakewood scatter shield in it.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
don't feel too bad about it
i pulled a tranny to replace a cracked flywheel, it was cracked so i thought cool, put the tranny back in, fired it up then heard the same noise, turns out the torque converter was also noisey:banghead:

·
ford freak
731 Posts
as long as you learn from your mistake, its not a wasted effort. at least thats how i think about it.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
The only difference from Auto to MAnual might be the inspection plate. The lower half thats missing on the one pictured. On some of my older car/trucks they are different, but only the lack of the plate and the mounting holes for the plate.

·
Registered
328 Posts
one other difference to consider is the starter motor placement. the hole the starter goes into is the only thing that sets up the proper location. the bolts are not enough ( all the noise people ) to set the proper gear mesh with the ring gear. ring gear diameter is what will determine the proper match between bell housing plate and starter. I went througth this in a mustang when changing from an early to late C4. the early used a smaller flex plate and I didn't discover it until I looked to put the starter in. ring gear was about 1" away from the starter gear. had to pull and replace the flex plate because the "spacer" matches the trans.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That'd be da one sir!

Not sure about the auto/manual tranny differneces... I would assume they are the same. The one thing I can tell you is that when I used a motor out of a manual transmission truck, the dowl pins that line up the motor/tranny were different than the autos. By that I mean the dowels were in the same places and I had to drive one of them out in order to allow the motor out of the manual truck to fit into the bronco with the automatic transmission.

IIRC, when I did swap motors, I am pretty sure I used the backing plate from the manual because I never took the one off of the other original motor.

KC
In the 460'S there different. I changed from a np235 to a c6 and had to get a new one. the other engines could be different though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
my 84 ranger had a plate like that on the 5spd tranny in it. it was between the tranny/bellhousing and the starter. didnt look like it served a purpose. it was very thin and light. but i put it back in when i did the tranny swap

·
Registered
328 Posts
on the v8s at least it very much serves a purpose. it locates the starter motor to properly mesh with the ring gear. If not for the plate then the only thing to align the starter is the bolts and there is a lot of play in those. refere back to the people that didn't install the plate and had loud noise from the starter. you'll regret not having this when the next starter swap turns out to need the ring gear or flex plate changed as well.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put the motor and trans in today.No more noise with the plate in between.
I'll be redoing mine in a week or two. I have 10 stitches in my forearm right now and can't do too much wrenching. I can't believe I forgot to put the !^$%#*$&%^$*&$( thing in :doh0715::banghead

I wasn't kidding when I said I had it all back togther when I realized I missed the block plate. Oh well....practice makes perfect I guess :banghead

1 - 20 of 22 Posts