Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

How can I get the top bolt off the starter? (stripped)

10K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  1989bronco 
#1 ·
I'm trying to get off the starter, and the bottom bolt and nut came off pretty easily. I couldn't get the top bolt off and it looks like its stripped. Its in a pretty hard area to get to... how can I get it off?

#2 ·
Suppose you can't cut it off with an angle grinder or dremel?

#4 ·
Yes, I have tried with both. The bolt is definitely stripped.

I would have a hard time getting at it to cut off the head, but even so, I still need to get a new bolt in there, so that defeats the purpose.

G
#5 ·
You could look into one of those bolt-out tools. I haven't tried any personally but the alternative is to cut the head off then take a small drill bit and drill into the remaining shaft, then try rotating it out.

#7 ·
Ranger said:
You could look into one of those bolt-out tools. I haven't tried any personally but the alternative is to cut the head off then take a small drill bit and drill into the remaining shaft, then try rotating it out.
Y'all mean this he-are thang he-are ?

Last resort IMO

Sixlitre

#8 ·
#10 ·
Sixlitre said:

Last resort IMO

Sixlitre
Honestly, this would be my FIRST resort for a damaged bolt or nut. I bought a set about 2 years ago, and they work amazing. I've been able to break rusted bolts out that wouldn't budge with a breaker bar with these with very little effort. Im not sure how they design works so well, but it does.

This is what I recommend though, so good luck.

#11 ·
DarcSystems said:
Honestly, this would be my FIRST resort for a damaged bolt or nut. I bought a set about 2 years ago, and they work amazing. I've been able to break rusted bolts out that wouldn't budge with a breaker bar with these with very little effort. Im not sure how they design works so well, but it does.

This is what I recommend though, so good luck.

i concur those work wonders and nice ride :beer

#12 ·
Sixlitre said:

Last resort IMO

Sixlitre
AMEN!

I just used the exact set last night to remove the BOTTOM starter bolt on my 94 Bronco - which was also stripped & rounder than a fat lady's ass.... The previous owner must have used %$#@! Fisher & Price tools for doing his repairs...

That above set works excellent and the tool removed the stripped bolt on the very first try!

#13 ·
Sixlitre said:

Last resort IMO

Sixlitre
Not last resort, IMHO, would be the first tool Id grab for this. If the head is stripped, you gonna need a new one anyway!!

Ive got the Irwin equevelent of the Bolt Outs, and *love* them, have saved my ass at least *3* times, well worth the investment I made in 2 different sets!!!

:chili:

#14 ·
Ran in to this problem about a month ago, tried using the stripped bolt removers but not enough grab or room to work with it. I used a dremel to cut the head off and used an motor head stud remover to take it out took in no time at all. I used stainless bolts to replace the factory ones.
good luck
Jay

#18 ·
bronco1 said:
The reason these bolts are more prone to the heads stripping,is that the depth of the head of the bolt is much shallower than a standard bolt.
Wonder if the exhaust heat from the passenger's side headpipe makes things worse ? I always lather the crap out of the bolt threads with anti-seize before they go back in.

Sure like Sewiv's idea of taller headed stainless bolts for next time. Being a different material they might not seize to the hole's threads as easily.

Sixlitre

#20 ·
Sorry it's been so long since I've responded. I bought myself a set of bolt out removers, and they are not working... it's just too stripped. I tried using the #5 which would be correct for the size, but it just slips right on and doesn't grip. I tried to hammer on the #4, and it wasn't able to stay on. I bought an adapter to make my cordless drill a right angle setup, so I am going to try and drill out the bolt head tomorrow.

I will definitely be looking into the SS starter bolts as well. Thanks for the info on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.