Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the code for it but I didn't have a code in my X when the o2 sensor died either. Is there a way to tell by looking at it, like spark plugs?

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
check out a haynes manuel, I think there is a testing procedure in it for the o2 sensor.....But the ECM kinda tests it everyday. If you don't got a code it's probably within tolerances. Might be close to the edges but if it was bad it should be throwing codes.... Whats it doing that you think it's bad?????? Take care--Fog

Reactions: bsd4083

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been reading through all the mileage posts here and most people with a '94 are getting around 12-13 and I'm getting 10. And after reading all of those posts I'd like to do better :) I've already replaced the plugs and wires (Was still on stock ones) and I'm going to replace the cap and rotor (Didn't realize they want you to do that at the same time).

·
Registered
10 Posts
O2 Sensors are cheap and easy to install, but they are very simple and do not go out that often. Go to Napa and get one,10 miles to the Gal? Ya thats not right if you are mosty stock, Do you have a lot of unburned fuel coming out your exhaust? If so not your O2 sen something else earlyer in the stage. Ya change it all 94 hey thats old for stock plugs ned to replace, Cap, rotor, plugs,wires,a can of fuel injection cleaner and, get ready to change some sensors. dont forget to have your lubs changed, tranny diffs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe, mostly stock? TOTALLY stock! :D I'm sorta wondering about the cat, how can I tell if it's going out? My exhaust has a smell of gas to it (A bit more than most cars I've owned) How much does a cat cost to replace?

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
hook a digital volt meter on it, and see how much the voltage it is putting out with a cold engine, and then a warm engine.
it should be between .1-1V, and average with a warm engine is .3-.7V
the higher the voltage the richer your mixture.
to test it, ground out a cylinder and see if the readings climb.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Unless you do the test to see if it is too rich or too lean or get my favorite, the check engine light, I am not sure how you would tell. When the engine is running and the sensor goes out of tolerance limits does it not go to a default mixture setting at the injectors? I suppose that is not a very good answer, but more of a comment on how the darn thing works, and why it may be difficult to figure out if it is working or not.:confused:

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
They can react slowly when old. you can get a 174 or 178 code if you have 3dig codes. They are a general mantiance item, which means you are suposed to replace them every XX months.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fireguy50 said:
They are a general mantiance item, which means you are suposed to replace them every XX months.
That's why I'm probably going to replace it just for the helluva it. The spark plugs and wires were stock, god only knows what else is "vintage" '94. The air filter had been in for a lonnnng time, it had half a bird's feathers inside it and the breather filter was a solid hunk of greasy gunk.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha last time I bought one for the X it was $50 and the Bronco ones are the same price :( At least I only have one to replace versus 2 or 3 (Don't recall who it was but I read in the back posts that someone here had 3, YOW!)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Blaze, how was that mud hole down in Orlando? My little Bronco Brother told me about it.

·
Super Moderator
26,319 Posts
our 96's upstream sensor went South @ 75k miles; lit off da CEL, but did NOT cause a code to pop.

.. a pop mail order firm (but as always call around locally for same/better $):
Oxygen Sensors - prices, locations on vehicles:
http://buyoxygensensors.com/

Reactions: bsd4083

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Check it for bees.

My truck has been sitting for like a year and I just started it up to 3 codes for o2 sensors.

Snorkel was full of Hornets so I'm guessing my filters clogged with bees.

I don't have the code for it but I didn't have a code in my X when the o2 sensor died either. Is there a way to tell by looking at it, like spark plugs?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts