Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting a soft top so obvious i need to store the hard top...unfortunatly i don't have a lot of driveway space to leave it, and the garage would be impossible...i was wondering if the top had to be store flat down on the ground like it sits on the truck, or if it's possible to store it laying upright on the rear part?...i'm sure it's not good to lay it on one of the side windows, but what about leaning up against a fence laying the back side, where the window would be, on the ground?...

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Best to keep it on a rack or just off the ground all together. I back in my garrage and lift it off and keep it suspended with two big wratchet straps. It works good for me and when I want the top back on I just back under it it and lower it down.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I have a pulley system in my garage that I use to take the top off and on. I just raise it up until is touches the ceiling and leave it the hanging. I don't know if it is good to stand them up like that. I think I have read on here that they can warp and won't fit right anymore.

·
Super Moderator
26,374 Posts

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I just sit mine on a level concrete floor. I've never had a problem with this method if you've got the space.

IIRC the Ford reccommended way is sitting it on top of a couple of 4x4s.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went way overboard and made a frame out of 4- 2x4's with cross braces to make sure it wouldn't warp. Found a friend's shed to throw it behind and it went back on no problem. I'd probably do it like that again just to be sure it keeps it shape, but I don't think it's completely necessary. As long as you don't pile shit on top of it and give it a reason to change shape you should be fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
theres always the local self storage. u can rent a parking space pretty cheap, and leave your top there on a few slaps of wood. safe and out of the way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just use a couple of saw horses and put it in a pop up shed. works well and you don't have to pick it up off the ground. only leaves a couple of indents in the roof padding when you put it back on.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
mine is just sitting on the grass at the edge of the yard

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got it off the truck yesterday and was able to get it right up agains one door of my garage, and still able to fit the truck in the driveway...not bad...just gotta be careful not to run over when i pull in the driveway...thanks guys....:thumbup

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,474 Posts
When mine was off and on I just leaned it up against the side wall of the house with a cover (tarp) to keep out the rain. Never had a problem with warping or fitting back on. Personally never felt the need to store it flat, but that is just me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When mine was off and on I just leaned it up against the side wall of the house with a cover (tarp) to keep out the rain. Never had a problem with warping or fitting back on. Personally never felt the need to store it flat, but that is just me.
Hey, that's great to know...that's even better for me...save me lots of room...thanks, i'll move it tonight....

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,474 Posts
I know there are going to be people who disagree. All I did was stand it up on the rearmost corners. I was real careful putting boards under it the first few times and began to get lazy and just lean it up against the house sitting in the gravel. It has been that way for 5 years and still looks good. I hope it fits when/if I want to put it back on. Mine has a liner? on the inside that probably should not get wet you should not have that problem.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I used 2 2x4 and bolted it to the top (helps back end from moving,or crack), 4 eyelets to the wood. raised it to the garage ceiling.....................

·
Administrator
22,840 Posts
basically how mine has been sitting for the last six months but with no tarp, its fiberglass so its not going to warp, and since I dont have a headliner in it all i have to do before i put it back on is hose it off. You guys are over thinking this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine laid flat in the backyard all last summer til i finally put it back on in November. Had to spend sometime cleaning it before i could put it back on... you should atleast lay it on a tarp or something...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts