Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my fuel filter, and I'm wondering how I can tell if the old one is shot. When I pulled it off, it was pretty full of gas, and it took a lot of shaking and jarring to get it all to flow out. The gas that flowed out was fairly dark, if that matters.

Judging by the appearance of the exterior of the filter, and the lack of maintenance by the P.O., I'm sure it needed to be replaced. I'm just curious if there's a way I can tell how bad off the old one was.

And on a side note, changing the filter was a very weird experience. I'm used to sports cars (vettes, firebirds, etc.) and it was really weird to be able to literally sit up underneath my truck while I swapped it out. Ground clearance has advantages. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fuel filters are best handled as a time change item. Replace it per the suggested interval. I found out with a 90 Suburban I had that when the filters are not changed regularly, they will let you know by burning out the fuel pump and most of the undercab wiring harness.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
i think you just want to dig in there right? empty it out real good and then cut it open with a hack saw...just cut one end off.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I had a little hesitation leaving from a stop, and I definitely, definitely have bad gas mileage. It's disturbing being able to see the needle move.

And Stangmata, I really enjoyed your fuel filter writeup. It was spot on and helpful for a mechanical newbie like me.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
if you think your fuel filter is shot then it is time to change it. plain and simple

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,443 Posts
Jocko said:
how I can tell if the old one is shot.
Try drinking beer through it, if it's really hard to get the beer through, it's shot. :thumbup

Seriously though, I've seen guys blow on the inlet side of a fuel filter (yeah, pretty gross) and if it's hard to blow through they say it's bad, I'd just go on time for something like that, not really any other surefire way to tell. Which reminds me, i need to change my fuel filter too.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Fuel filters are cheap enough insurance to replace every year. To check it blow through the new one, then blow through the old one. You'll notice it is much harder to blow through the old one, and if it's that hard for air to get through just think how much your fuel pump had to work to force gasoline through it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
as cheap as fuel filters are i just replace and not worry about the condition of the old one. if you want to monitor it get a glass sight filter and add in line and you can see the crud it stops....mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts