Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 1984 bronco with a very weak 302 and 35 inch boggers and it will barely spin the tires in tha mud.my boss has a ford econoline van/camper how could i tell what kind of v8 is in it?

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
400 m should be easy to tell, pretty sure they are dry intake (coolant is routed into the block vs the intake manifold). a 351c is the same.

351c and 351 windsor are very different.

i can't remember the diffs between 302 and 351, but try a google like 351 identification or 351 vs 302. i found a bunch when i was identifiying my 351c.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
i know a 302 isn't very big thats what i have in my bronco but something sounds up because mine can spin my 33s in mud while in 4wd like crazy. Have you had a tune up lately sorry if this sounds stupid to you iam just saying air filter anything allot of things could be robbing you of performance but that just dosent sound right like i said i mean mine will even burn tires on the road about the van iam not that advanced i would just look it up
good luck

·
Registered
777 Posts
one of the best methods for telling a 302 from a 351W is to look at the water pump. the 302 and 289 heads are right there and the 351 is about 1 inch higher.

351W has a taller deck height, so the heads are farther from the water pump ports.

That's all I got

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
do a search. There are several posts on this and several of those are very good. One in particular that I know of shows the EGR valve (right?) on the 302 it has a short tube that comes from/near the intake, on the 351 it goes down to (near )the exaust... Or else it's the other way around...Seriously, just do a search. The info is all over the place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i went and looked at that van/camper.and i believe it has a 460 bigblock with a c6 tranny reckon it would be worth 500?if so how cheap is it to upgrade.i like my horsepower.lol

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
if you pop the hood theres a ID tag on the top of the grille. It will tell you exactly what motor it is.

·
Registered
852 Posts
302's and 351's have the same block, just different heads and intakes and stuff. Don't know how to tell them apart though on the carb'd engines.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i tried to find ID tags on the vehicle but there are hardly any and none with engine info.any more ideas?

·
Registered
382 Posts
302's and 351's have the same block, just different heads and intakes and stuff. Don't know how to tell them apart though on the carb'd engines.
:bs:smilie_slap:slap:twak:smilie_slap:slap:twak:bs

Repeat after me-----302s and 351s are DIFFERENT, do a little bit of research before you give advice. Just remember, search and google are our friends.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
:bs:smilie_slap:slap:twak:smilie_slap:slap:twak:bs

Repeat after me-----302s and 351s are DIFFERENT, do a little bit of research before you give advice. Just remember, search and google are our friends.
He is right the 351w has a 1" taller deck hight on the block and that is why the intake on a 351w is different from a 302. The 1" taller deck puts the head farther apart on the 351w.

·
Premium Member
1987 Bronco 351W, C6
1,380 Posts
The 351M wasn't offered in '84 model year, according to the manual I have. Look at the 8th character in the VIN- F or N is a 302, G or H is a 351W. And yes, 351/302 blocks are different.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The 351M wasn't offered in '84 model year, according to the manual I have. Look at the 8th character in the VIN- F or N is a 302, G or H is a 351W. And yes, 351/302 blocks are different.
Officially, 1982 was the last year for the 351M. mid model year engine supplies were exhausted, and the 351W replaced the M.

But, as we all know, Ford does not follow the rules, so I wouldn't be surprised if they found 3 or 4 M's and slid them into 83 or 84 model year broncos or f-150's :histerica

:popc1:

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
402 Posts
Google is your friend... find out what engines they came with then find out what they look like... no big deal... faster to do that too

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i found out what i needed to know.i went and found the block number and looked it up on google today after work.it is a 7.5 460 bigblock so HELL YEAH!thanks again yall

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
I think your problem may not be your engine, but gearing.

What is your gear ratio? With 35"s you'd want 4.56-4.88 gearing

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its completely stock 3.56??dont really know..and i do agree it does need gears i'll end up puttin 4.88 in it and a locker for the rear..but 500 dollars for a 460 and c6 trans come on who cant pass that up?i know i sure as hell cant

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
3.55 then stock

1 - 20 of 24 Posts