Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time a new semester rolls around at the community college i attend i always ask myself if this is what i really want to do. Then usually i get frustrated while trying to complete assignments that I have concluded are close to pointless... saying the usual "when the f**k am i going to use this crap?"

Pretty much fed up with this academic studies and is starting to look into tech school that are hands on and im not sitting behind a bloody computer all day long.

though still i dunno what i want to go for... im leaning towards diesel. I never wanted to go to tech school and become a "grease monkey" but i dont know if im going to be able to finish out my AA and still be sane.

I love workin on stuff... every chance and dollar i get goes into one of the vehicles i own. But i wasnt sure i wanted to get dirty day in and day out.

how did you all end up deciding what you wanted to do?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I knew I wanted to be in law enforcement from the age of 10.. Just something I knew I wanted to do, help people.. Protect people and legally speed. :) Kidding...

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I wanted to get out of the small town i grew up in and see the world. my parents nor I could afford college so i took the best of both worlds. i joined the Air Force. got my Associates in two years (no classrooms either) im about to go back to shcool here shortly and work on something else. maybe a general education or business or something like that.

·
not banned
5,969 Posts
i did what seemed easy or interesting.. if you don't enjoy what you do..... you may not end up happy in the long run.

and by easy, i don't mean "eveyone says this is an easy field," I mean, i seemed to have a natural ease with doing it---often because i enjoyed it too.

mj

·
Registered
237 Posts
well, as said earlier... you really just need to finish it.

I learned that getting my degree opened the doors to whatever I wanted to do. It doesn't necessarily have to be in my major, and I don't necessarily use the useless stuff you speak of...

BUT, you show that you can go through college, are competent enough to perform daily tasks and are smart enough to go through the curricular. This in turn shows the jobs you apply for that you can handle it.

Tech schools are a short program (usually 2 years) just finish out college and you can go back there.
:beer

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Every time a new semester rolls around at the community college i attend i always ask myself if this is what i really want to do. Then usually i get frustrated while trying to complete assignments that I have concluded are close to pointless... saying the usual "when the f**k am i going to use this crap?"

Pretty much fed up with this academic studies and is starting to look into tech school that are hands on and im not sitting behind a bloody computer all day long.

though still i dunno what i want to go for... im leaning towards diesel. I never wanted to go to tech school and become a "grease monkey" but i dont know if im going to be able to finish out my AA and still be sane.

I love workin on stuff... every chance and dollar i get goes into one of the vehicles i own. But i wasnt sure i wanted to get dirty day in and day out.

how did you all end up deciding what you wanted to do?
Heh, I think the same thing every other day because Im doing the same thing except Im in a tech school. I feel ya, though I know Ill be using what Im going for (CAD operator). I too thought about working on cars for a living or some kind of mechanical work, but I see how my relitives are and they aren't very happy because even after a long day, they still have to work on there own chit or someone elses. I thought long and hard about it and in the end I said I dont want to do the same things at work and then come home and have to do the same thing at home. Who knows though, maybe youll end up in a different job that your degree doesn't even pretain to.

Dont quit though.

KC:beer

·
formerly Nascarfreak88
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have no intentions of quitting. I just dont want to waste my time.

That and im about sick of sitting behind this computer...

Just trying to look at my different options and seeing what else is out there.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
i thought that looked like an ex-5.0 hwy patrol.(j/k)good lookin stang!:thumbup

Why thank you! :beer

Thats one car I would love to have, with the blk/whit color combo and the drivers side flood light still in tact.. Unfortunately this car was just a 93 LX 5.0, not a hwy patrol..

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I thought I wanted to be a doctor, got my degree in chemistry/biology, took the MCAT and started applying, decided to travel and after coming back and talking to all my friends in med school and speaking with other doctors, I decided it wasn't worth it. I still wanted to be in the medical field and I got lucky and found a position in cancer research. Luckily I really enjoy my job.

You just have to find something you like that you can make a decent living at. No matter how much you love your job, if you can't make ends meet you are not going to be happy. The reverse if also true.

Your education is key and that opens up many doors.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
I got my Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Commercial Art...worked in the graphic arts field for 5 years, but I got tired of the low pay. I used to enjoy drawing, painting, etc., but after doing art for a living for several years, it kind of took the fun out of it.

I went into private security/investigations after that, and having a Bachelors degree, even one in a field other than the kinds of jobs I was applying for, opened up doors for me that probably would not have otherwise been opened had I not had an education.

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
As others have said...

Get the degree if you can...you will never regret having the piece of paper.

When things are all said and done...you will need to end up with something that you are happy and energized about if you can. That is how I see it long term. Cash is a necessity, retirement funds and health coverage is a must, but why spend the 30 years of work getting there miserable...?

If you get the degree and have to try a few different lines of work out to figure it out...no big deal...a lot of folks end up doing it that exact way.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,675 Posts
You just have to find something you like that you can make a decent living at. No matter how much you love your job, if you can't make ends meet you are not going to be happy. The reverse if also true.
When things are all said and done...you will need to end up with something that you are happy and energized about if you can. That is how I see it long term. Cash is a necessity, retirement funds and health coverage is a must, but why spend the 30 years of work getting there miserable...?

these are 100% true.

things happen for a reason....
Ya know, its funny you say this. The current job i have is awesome. Company is making a shitload of money, and theres an unlimited amount of OT available for i guess the next 2 or 3 years. Good people to work with, and good people to work for, which is key. Heres where your statement applies though. We moved to PA to get a nice house & a small yard, because i needed the room for her car + my two trucks & trailer, and couldnt afford it in jersey. So, if i didnt have my trucks, i never woulda moved to PA, and never woulda got this job. Of course its really my mechanical background that allowed me to get the job, but i still cant help but think of how differently it couldve all worked out. Things happen for a reason....

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Who said I did???
I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up....:shrug
No shit dude.

I have an Associates Degree in Law Enforcement, went through all the training, and then decided i don't have the patience to deal with people, and if you gave me a gun and told me to interact with them, i would probably just end up shooting the stupid ones.

I then took it and tried to use it for forensics, but you still need street cop or the equivalent time in order to go into forensics.

So i went into the Industrial Electrician/maintenance trade. Have had pretty decent earnings there, decided i wanted a degree in Mechanical Engineering, since i was working with a lot of Engineers. Got all the pre-reqs at a community college, then went to start the actual Engineering classes at a University, but fell on hard times, and decided that i really didn't want to be an Engineer anyway. I still wanted to stick to the technical/build side of it.

Stayed in the Maintenance trade, started getting into computers and electronic devices. Decided that Engineering Tech was a good job for me. Basically the engineers design it, and i build it. So i am currently in school for that, the whole associates degree incorporates PC Tech, and i will probably follow that up with either going back for my Bachelors. It's a field that seems very interesting to me. I've also been offered Computer Forensic jobs, which cracks me up.

Just because you choose something now, don't assume you can't change it in the future, it's not easy, but it is possible.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Never did. Pops had a stroke and I had to take over the family business. Not bad but I wonder every day what else I would be doing if it hadn't happened.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you really don't have a dream that you want to live at this point, look around at what others are doing that you really think are shit hot jobs. You can do any of those dream jobs if you prepare for them. After all, the great jobs(not necessarily the highest paying ones) are filled by normal guys and girls that just stuck with it and would not take "no" for an answer. Ocean going Ship Captains, Airline Pilots, Corporate Attorneys, these are all normal folks that knew what they wanted and sacrificed everything to get it. If you really do not have a clue and are a young man, I would suggest the military. It will be a lot of fun and will give you time and money to pursue that dream job.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I thought I wanted to be a doctor, got my degree in chemistry/biology, took the MCAT and started applying, decided to travel and after coming back and talking to all my friends in med school and speaking with other doctors, I decided it wasn't worth it. I still wanted to be in the medical field and I got lucky and found a position in cancer research. Luckily I really enjoy my job.
cyto-tech?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts