Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wondered about how most of you guys came across to know so much about broncos and just trucks and cars in general. I know some of you know so much cause your work is dealing with trucks and cars and its what you do but thought I might ask how did you guys learn so much about broncos and trucks? Did you guys take classes? Schooling? Just grew up with it since your dad was that kind of guy before you? Or any other way you guys have learned? I'm curious just thought I might ask.
Alex

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,039 Posts
I broke alot of shit on my truck in high school. And was way too broke to send it to a shop to fix.

·
Registered
832 Posts
i had classes in hs and im registered for some classes in the fall at the local college to start on my automotive degree. ive learned more with hands on experience on my bronco and this site

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
I read a lot, and can do more things in theory than in practice, but I've taken a few classes and can pretty much take anything apart and put it back together again. The eckelectronic things are what confuse me.

·
Registered
960 Posts
My dad was a mechanic for 10 years and we have always done most of the work on all of our vehicles. He is so good about figuring out a problem that no one would think of. He does so much for me and I cant thank him enough for all the hours he has spent with me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I couldn't do anything on my truck with out this site... and I just have to man up and figure things out.

a million busted knuckles later, you'll know what youre doing. (btw, got my finger caught in vice grips 12 hours ago and i still can feel my finger. F tilt wheel)

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
My dad was mechanicly inclined as well as me, so growing up I would watch him and help out when I could. In high school I took as many shop/metal/wood/auto classes as possible since it was what I liked to do. At 17 I was with a girl for a couple of years. Her dad owned a shop. I started out sweeping the floors but was swapping motors before I knew it.

That also taught me just how evil some mechanics can be. My GF's dad (the owner) had no idea how bad the lead mechanic was screwing him and the customers until I let him know.

Well my career in IT is nothing like that now but it's great for me (and I look amazing in my wife's eyes ) that with my know-how, when something goes wrong ,I grab a wrench and not the phone.

Anything can be done if you are willing to take the time to see how something should work and figure out why it's not.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Self taught. Basic stuff like how to to hold a wrench and how to pour oil without a funnel I learn from my old man. The rest I'm self taught. My learning style is to just keep working until I reach something I don't know. Then I research 3 auto repair manuals, and the internet for the answer. Experience takes over from then on.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
I read a lot, and can do more things in theory than in practice, but I've taken a few classes and can pretty much take anything apart and put it back together again.
:stupid Although I learned a hellava lot from my own experiences, listening and watching/helping my relatives. Probably a 50/50 knowledge to practice. Mechanics run in the family, and I'm the first trying to get out of it, along with my brother. Once you learn the basics, everything else slowly starts to fall together ;)

Then I found this site and researched a lot of things I wanted to know about, or how they are done. :thumbup

KC

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I just wanted to add a bit to my post. You will never know everything. Researching is what makes the difference. I have also looked at this site many times when I want to do something and will research to see what others have done. I also will post my experiences to share with others doing the same.

I look at some of my projects like sliders and bumpers and when someone wants to replicate it or build on it I am glad to post schematics on what I have done. It's nice to see more than one project has been copied or improved do to my posts. That what this site is for.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,841 Posts
Spent a lot of time on here and under the truck. Im a curious guy, so I will take stuff apart just to see how it goes back together, etc. My dad isnt a big car guy and I dont have any relatives in the area who are. Plus wheelin' and the drive to not pay installation fees will make you learn fast.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a second vehile, so being able to try to do something in a weekend, failing, and getting it all square over the next 4-5 days have helped me learn. If it is your only mode of transportation then sometimes you gotta have it fixed by x-date.

But in general everything I know is from reading and then just sucking it up and trying. That is how I am doing my very slow sas.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
When I turned 16 my dad did me a huge favor and sold me his beat up '78 Chevy C-10 pick up for $800. Just like most Chevy's, it was a huge lemon. Everything that could break did, and I had no choice other than to fix it. Thanks dad.:twak

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Initially I think you need to have a general knack for it.

In reality its: break it
take it apart
read
put it back together (sometimes wrong) lol

People learn in different ways. Some take their time and do it right the first
time. Some learn from error. Its all about patience and understanding.

Bottom line: Get in there, bust knuckles, get your hands dirty. If you get stuck
this site will help you.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
I broke a LOT of things. :toothless

The abbreviated version:

• It's genetic; four generations of some combo of automotive and mechanical engineering.
  • I was taught to change oil when I was still wearing a diaper (no not last year lol).
  • Started wrenching on my own vehicle at 14: my dad's old F-250. Mom's chevys kept breaking, I just refused to fix 'em until she got a Ford. Ironic because now I don't like either company at all.
  • Worked in a couple garages between stints at a few auto parts stores.
  • I earned an Associate of Applied Science in Automotive Engineering Technology a few years ago.
  • The market was dead when I obtained that, so I continued with my Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. Still deciding on whether I want to finish that, since my university is pulling some goddamn bullshit moves on me about "requiring a theme" and some other crap to squeeze more money out of my poor ass. Thinking about Ferris State to finish with an BS in Automotive Engineering instead.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I pretty much learned everything from hands on experience and working and helping out others on their automobiles, motorcycles, lawn mowers etc..

There was no internet when I was young and our telephone was a party-line.

I was about 12 yo when I started doing most of the work on the family cars, trucks and tractors and my dad is as inept as they come when working on autos. But, I was lucky enough to be the youngest in the family (four older sisters :shocked) and my brother-in-law is 6 years older and was always hot rodding an old car or truck, so I helped him with a few engine swaps and rebuilds.

While I was in the military, I started helping all my buddies that drag raced and wheeled, all the while learning more and more.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
Raised on a large farm where we fixed all our own chit..trucks, tractors, combines..anything. I started driving same when I was 12..and what ya broke you better be able to fix was kinda the rule.

Started tinkering with my own cars and motorcycles about age 13..restored my first car (a 1927 Dodge coupe) by 16..had built or restored 3 more by age 18, one of which was a 12-second bracket car ('66 Mustang)..yadda yadda. By age 23 I had worked as an automotive machinist for three different shops, one of which did a lot of specialty high performance work..learned a LOT there.

Was owner/operator of a carburetor rebuild shop for almost 4 years ('81-'85). Learned a thing or two about carbs...and that side business generated all the 'pin money' for my vehicle build projects.

With my auto machinist background I snagged a job as a machinist/technician in a rocket/supersonic combustion research lab. Learned how to - and reeceived certification in - about every welding process ever invented and with some pretty 'exotic' materials, and became proficient on many more shop machines at the same time.

Now I'm 50..and have built so many vehicles that I've long since lost count..over 30, I know that.

Lucky I guess....:toothless

·
TTB FTW
887 Posts
High school classes, Growing up around with dad, Then I took two years of college classes so i could possibly make it my career.

The classes were really cool, learned about alignments,brakes,steering,Engine Performance,suspension,Efi systems(fuel systems), stuff like that.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
I couldn't do anything on my truck with out this site
Couldn't have said it better:beer

Credit where credit is due.

I started out at a Plymouth stealership and driving British Leyland junk too.

Everything that busted always seemed to me to be improve-able(especially all the Chevy junk my buddies were driving).

I modified the $h!t out of that Cooper S (the original one) until it was licking 5.0 litres in the quarter and badly 0-60.

I truly wish they'd had the inter-muh-net and a site like this for my Mopars and other vehicles way back then.

I could have saved piles of cash and skin over the years.

WAY TO GO Joe !

Sixlitre

p.s./
My advice to you Malibu is learn to fix what you break and make it better wherever possible. That and get a real live manual (buy a Haynes until it gets there).

Here's an excellent link for you;

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=1

1 - 20 of 49 Posts