Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got some chain laying around not doin anything so i figured id make some steps

I cant see anywhere to mount them though. There is a little lip right under the door, but its just body metal & dosent seem like it could hold weight. The next place is about 4 inches further under, and seems like it would put the chains too far under to be able to use.

Anyone have pics on where the chains actually mounted up? Found plenty of pics of the chains on Broncos, but none close enough to tell where the mounted.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
That sheet metal under the door is where my aluminum steps are mounted with 1/4-20 carriage bolts...believe it or not. Problem is that over the life of this vehile that area under the door has bowed downward a little.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sheet metal under the door is where my aluminum steps are mounted with 1/4-20 carriage bolts...believe it or not. Problem is that over the life of this vehile that area under the door has bowed downward a little.
Hmm...

It bends even when I pull on it by hand. I guess it works for you, just dont want to go tearing anything off trying to get in.

Did you just drill into the lip for the bolts?

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
I dind't drill anything. My Bronc came like that. The 1/4-20 carriage bolts goes through the duoble sheet metal lip and a #10 sheet metal screw goes into the single layer behind it toeward the frame. The weight all hangs on the 1/4-20 bolt the sheet metal screw just kind of keeps it in position. On the door sill thete is 1/4" thick aluminum plate over the holes and the carriage bolts go through that themn through the lip then through the step.

This is my step and plate after I sideswiped a rosk on a very rocky trail. Notice the holes and the slot in the plate. This step had been welded and is bakc in place but I may install a chains step instead. I will be getting sliders but for now I have to make do.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I thought about mounting a set of the seat frame to just toss in and out as needed.
I thought about doing this with a saddle stirrup.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do this- http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172981

Attach your chain to the square tubing.
That looks like the best way. But I don't really want to spend 100 bucks. You think just drilling two holes ( like his mounting holes) in the rocker and then using grade 8s with a flat square of reinforcement to hold the chain would work? So the bolt would go through the rocker, through some flat reinforcement, through a chain link, and then caped with a nut?

I had some chain so this was kind of a boredom inspired project. If it can't be done cheap I'll wait til I've got he money to do the rocker reinforcement

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ehh my last idea doesn't sound like it'd work. Maybe eye bolts through the rocker and then the chains attached to those?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts