Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I was unable to find it on this forum. I'm hoping someone could give me the low down on installation. Also any reccomendations on lift kits? I'm thinking of a 4" lift I won't be doing too much off-roading but here and there (daily driver). I don't want to spend a fortune but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.:thumbup

·
Registered
78 Posts
The first time it took me awhile 8hr , now about 2hrs taken my time .But get the correct tools and instructions normally come with the kit , jump in and get your hands dirty . Things are always better if you had an experienced person with you to help. i would recommend a suspension lift only -brand (what ever you can afford). you will prob have mixed opinions on this, but in the end get what you can afford. Have fun - if there are any issues everybody is here for help. :beer

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time it took me awhile 8hr , now about 2hrs taken my time .But get the correct tools and instructions normally come with the kit , jump in and get your hands dirty . Things are always better if you had an experienced person with you to help. i would recommend a suspension lift only -brand (what ever you can afford). you will prob have mixed opinions on this, but in the end get what you can afford. Have fun - if there are any issues everybody is here for help. :beer
Thank you. Have you had any experience with rough country?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I have a Rough Country and no complaints except their shocks suck

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input I'm leaning towards rough country because it's affordable and I have heard the most about them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here is a link to the Rough Country site to download their instructions to get an idea what you would be in for.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/7510.pdf

If you have changed springs and shocks before you are off to a good start! Then there are some mounting brackets to replace and install, the pitman arm, and a couple other tidbits like maybe changing the front brake lines.

I think a 4 inch lift would be sufficient with some 33" tires for the occasional off roading, going bigger you would lose some torque off the line and then may want to add new gears in your front and rear axles adding to the cost too. Then again, many folks decide to go bigger down the road!

Either way, enjoy that Bronco :thumbup

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had an RC 4" lift on my 85 F150 (DD, mild/moderate offroading), and it did just fine.
Probably what I'll put on the Bronc (if/when I even lift it).

Install is pretty simple and straightforward. Have some decent jackstands and a jack handy.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The hardest part of a suspension lift is removing rivets on the frame cross member to install drop brackets. That was a real PITA. This is especially true for me because I later opted for cut and turned beams which don't use drop brackets. I had to bolt the originals back on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
sacman9975 awesome video, I hadn't seen that one, that is some serious work time

FPG if you have another helping hand the difficulty of putting a kit on your truck is going to be much less, much more enjoyable, and much safer. Also what size tires are you thinking about with the 4" lift?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't decided on tires yet I was thinking about keeping the ones that are on it for now. And I plan on having someone else to help me out I just didn't want to get into something over my head.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the 4" Rough Country, in the front at least. It works well enough for what I do. I put Bronco Graveyard rear leaf springs on because I'm no fan of blocks but it took me and a buddy probably like 8 hours or so of actual work, between beers and what not which definitely slowed us down a little haha.

If you are any good with a cutting torch that's what I suggest for the rivets. We played with the air chisel and a grinder and in the end we broke out the torch. Those rivets are pretty tough stuff!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The video posted above is mine. And yes it took me that long. I would say proper tools and lack of help is what slowed me down. I'd recommend doing it yourself though, you learn a lot about your truck. I still don't how these guys do this as quickly as they say :shrug I don't think anything is overly tough though, the rivets took the longest and I ended up purchasing a grinder just for them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 2" lift took 2 hours to complete, but most of that was cutting the shocks off and I have quad shocks :banghead. If you're doing 4" lift it will be an all day job. Can't tell you what brand to get though, but I will do it right and get a CT kit by the time I feel to go 4". More money but worth it in the long run.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts