Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay fellers today I got an engine and it is locked up from sitting for years. My uncle that gave it to me said he's had it soaking in Marvel Mystery Oil for a few days. He said he can't get it to turn over with a cheater bar, so he gave it to me. Perfect timing to get a free 304 for my heep, but how would you go about freeing it up? I've heard mixing atf and kerosene will do it, but I figured maybe you guys have been through this before. Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys:thumbup

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
normally its just a little rust around the rings, just keep trying what u did, thats what i always do in shop class

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
well senoir stupid, a buddy back home has a 50's jeep that he got from his gramps. the engine was locked up so we took the plugs out and pourd trans fluid in and let it sit for a few days. then we chained it to the back of his truck, left it in 1st and dragged it down the road till it freed up. took a little work after it freed but it runs like a champ.

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
I'd let some penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench) soak in the spark plug holes for a few days (re-applying each day), then top it off with some motor oil when you're ready to try it. If you can get a bellhousing & starter mounted to it (assuming it still has a flywheel attached), that would almost certainly break it, and you wouldn't risk shearing the harmonic balancer bolt.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
broncos&bombs said:
well senoir stupid, a buddy back home has a 50's jeep that he got from his gramps. the engine was locked up so we took the plugs out and pourd trans fluid in and let it sit for a few days. then we chained it to the back of his truck, left it in 1st and dragged it down the road till it freed up. took a little work after it freed but it runs like a champ.
As fun as that sounds, I think my uncle would get pissed if I was dragging his Commando around:histerica
Steve83 said:
I'd let some penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench) soak in the spark plug holes for a few days (re-applying each day), then top it off with some motor oil when you're ready to try it. If you can get a bellhousing & starter mounted to it (assuming it still has a flywheel attached), that would almost certainly break it, and you wouldn't risk shearing the harmonic balancer bolt.
Excellent idea:thumbup I got a spare flywheel and bellhousing and I can do this w/ the engine on the floor of the shop.:rockon

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
STUPID said:
Excellent idea:thumbup I got a spare flywheel and bellhousing and I can do this w/ the engine on the floor of the shop.:rockon
If you can't bust it loose with a cheater bar on the balancer, a starter isn't going to budge it either :banghead However, since you do have a flywheel, you can get a lot better leverage against the flywheel ring gear than you will with the balancer bolt.

Your worst case scenario will be to pull the heads and use a 2X4 against the pistons with a big hammer. The shock will break the rings loose from the cylinders. I helped a guy resurrect a couple engines from a 1942 ChrisCraft boat this way that had been siezed for 30 years. If the rings are rusted in this bad, plan on an engine overhaul as you'll have a groove in the cylinder walls when you're done.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Larston said:
Your worst case scenario will be to pull the heads and use a 2X4 against the pistons with a big hammer. The shock will break the rings loose from the cylinders. I helped a guy resurrect a couple engines from a 1942 ChrisCraft boat this way that had been siezed for 30 years. If the rings are rusted in this bad, plan on an engine overhaul as you'll have a groove in the cylinder walls when you're done.
that is what we did to free up an old 351m. got a piece of 4x4, cut off the corners, let it soak for a couple of hours with that pb blaster stuff and hammered away. worked really well.

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
The starter can apply a LOT more torque to the flywheel than the harmonic balancer bolt can withstand from a cheater pipe.

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
Steve83 said:
The starter can apply a LOT more torque to the flywheel than the harmonic balancer bolt can withstand from a cheater pipe.
Specially if you can get ahold of one of those high torque starters, those things could rip you in half.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
the engine was locked up so we took the plugs out and pourd trans fluid in and let it sit for a few days. then we chained it to the back of his truck, left it in 1st and dragged it down the road till it freed up. took a little work after it freed but it runs like a champ.
this sounds like the most fun. :twotu:

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I watched something like this on the Sat TV show "Trucks" and I think he was working on an old military looking yellow Chrysler Truck supposedly sitting in a field, Liquid Wrench or WD 40 was what he used I think. Let it sit for a few days to losen the rust around the rings, tune it up and it should fire up. Good Luck!

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
JKossarides said:
I watched something like this on the Sat TV show "Trucks" and I think he was working on an old military looking yellow Chrysler Truck supposedly sitting in a field, Liquid Wrench or WD 40 was what he used I think. Let it sit for a few days to losen the rust around the rings, tune it up and it should fire up. Good Luck!
Are you talking about the Sergeant Rock project?

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Oldyeller said:
Are you talking about the Sergeant Rock project?
Yup. Thats the one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts