Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I used my 4 wheel drive about 2 weeks ago for the first time in probably 2 years and now i think the autohubs are stuck on. Not sure how to describe it but just feels weird, especially on a slow sharp turn like making a u turn. I am getting my tranny rebuild and the guy said it is most likely the hubs, he said sometimes the grease gets packed in there and hard and they can not disengage or something like that. So I should get the truck back today what should I check?
Thanks

·
ford freak
731 Posts
auto hubbing...:rofl::rofl:

as far as checking on them, you can take the cap off and pull the snap rings out to get a look in there. there was a thread about this same problem last week...you might want to use the search to find it.

·
Puts it were it doesnt go
640 Posts
if the front driveshaft is spinning but the 4wd light aint on then the hubs are locked in. do yourself a favor and get some manual hubs. they cost about $100 and take all of half an hour to install. them auto hubs are going to quit working the second you need them

·
Registered
447 Posts
Per my owners manual for a 1996(do not know if yours is the same). If you have the pushbuttons on the dash. After driving in 4-wheel drive when you selected two wheel drive the light should go out. Then put the truck in reverse for about ten feet and then back in drive and pull forward. The auto hubs should disengage.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Per my owners manual for a 1996(do not know if yours is the same). If you have the pushbuttons on the dash. After driving in 4-wheel drive when you selected two wheel drive the light should go out. Then put the truck in reverse for about ten feet and then back in drive and pull forward. The auto hubs should disengage.
Key word there.:smilie_slap

·
Broncoless
1,494 Posts
thats like they should engage when you start moving with the truck in 4 wheel drive but that is not always the case

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Have someone back up the truck slowly as you hit the hub wiht a hammer. That might unlock the hub. But yea go get some manual hubs. If you don't have $100 I suggest going to the junkyard and salvage some there. much cheaper. My Warn Premiums were $10.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone, will check it out, just had my tranny rebuild but the pump failed so they had to pull it back apart and replace the pump so not going to have it back until monday and i will check then. i will look into the manuel hubs...thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts