Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 14 bolt at Forward Air Sat morning. It's a new take out, I do know it has 4.10s, how do I determine locker, ls or open? I haven't pulled the cover yet.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Holy crap... how much did you pay to ship a $100 axle?

The govlock has three crossshafts, the open carrier has four.

If it's a govlock, you have to replace the carrier in order to install a detroit.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I yanked the cover but still don't know what I'm looking for :shrug

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what does 5 holes mean? I counted mine 3 times, marked the hole I started with to be sure, rotated the carrier and still came up with 5.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That means you're fawked. :D

I'd guess it's a govlock... but if it's really five, and they're equally spaced (ie, four of them aren't 90* from one another with one odd hole), a Detroit won't fit.

You're looking at the holes just to the left of the ring gear, right? About 3/4" - 1" dia??

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, if it's a govlock does that mean it's a p.o.s.?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Ok so if there are 3 holes in the carier you're good right? Could you buy a new carrier? How much do they run. I know a new carrier for the D44 for the 4.56's didn't run that much. But I guess if you could have got the whole damned thing for $100 in the first place... :banghead I think I'll definately be opening that diff cover before I buy. :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
BigNorm said:
Ok so if there are 3 holes in the carier you're good right?
No, four. You want four holes. That will be an open carrier.

The carriers are cheap, it just sucks that you can't use it. I dunno what a new one goes for, but you should be able to hunt around and find a used one cheap.

I'd crack it open regardless and take a look -- it *could* still be an open carrier.

The govlock is just like any other limited grip... it doesn't work all that well. The govlock is one of the better LS out there, but it's still not a locker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts