Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 25th Anniversary XLT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to disconnect the wires from the harness going into the transfer case motor? (1st pic) And also, how to disconnect those wires at the other end, coming out of the shift module (2nd pic). I've searched the forum and can't seem to find an answer. Thanks!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to disconnect the wires from the harness going into the transfer case motor? (1st pic) And also, how to disconnect those wires at the other end, coming out of the shift module (2nd pic). I've searched the forum and can't seem to find an answer. Thanks! View attachment 180621 View attachment 180623
not sure on the second picture but on the first one i used a side to side motion and a screw driver or something to keep the tabs apart then you just wiggle and tug hard till you unplug it

·
Super Moderator
27,700 Posts
Yo T,
As fox advised;
and "
CAUTION: Do not pull directly on the wires.

Remove the wire connector from the feed wire harness at the rear of the transfer case. First squeeze the locking tabs, then pull the connectors apart." by Ford in 1996 Bronco Workshop Manual @ http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj77a09.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yo T,
As fox advised;
and "
CAUTION: Do not pull directly on the wires.

Remove the wire connector from the feed wire harness at the rear of the transfer case. First squeeze the locking tabs, then pull the connectors apart." by Ford in 1996 Bronco Workshop Manual @ http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj77a09.htm
Thanks for the reply! However, it looks like this is telling me how to disconnect the harness where it clips together. I need to know how to remove the wires from the back of the harness. I need to run new wires from my switch module to the transfer case motor harness. Or maybe I am misunderstanding. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figured them out! They both had small tabs on the inside. Used a small flathead screwdriver on the module, and a pick for the motor end. That one was a pain!

Here's a pic of the module end...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
There is typically a locking insert in the connector when viewed from its mating end (usually red). You have to fish it out then use a small pick, screwdriver, or one of those harness connector keysets to lift up a plastic tang the locks into the wires’ metal connectors. Pull wire out the back.

Have you considered just splicing in wire where you need it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I apologize for not being able to help you earlier! I do this for work (lots of depinning) I couldn't log in at work because I had my password stored on my home computer. Glad you figured it out. BFG mentioned that the tool is really just a metal pick. Yep! I actually prefer dental picks and one of my favorites has the tip partially broken off. Miesk5 mentioned not pulling on the wires - true! This is the cardinal sin of electrical connectors as it can create a short you can't see. The crimp might be beautiful to the naked eye, but true contact has been compromised and now a gremlin will take up residence. A headache to diagnose. I'm not really familiar with automotive electrical connectors and am grateful to see your connector cavities weren't filled with non-conductive RTV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apologize for not being able to help you earlier! I do this for work (lots of depinning) I couldn't log in at work because I had my password stored on my home computer. Glad you figured it out. BFG mentioned that the tool is really just a metal pick. Yep! I actually prefer dental picks and one of my favorites has the tip partially broken off. Miesk5 mentioned not pulling on the wires - true! This is the cardinal sin of electrical connectors as it can create a short you can't see. The crimp might be beautiful to the naked eye, but true contact has been compromised and now a gremlin will take up residence. A headache to diagnose. I'm not really familiar with automotive electrical connectors and am grateful to see your connector cavities weren't filled with non-conductive RTV.
Thanks! Now I just need to buy replacement connectors and run all the new wire! Anxious to get the auto 4x4 working properly.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,144 Posts
There is specific tools available for different types of terminals (the metal part at the end of wire) . small screwdrivers may work. ---> see below picture for examples

usually these are "clipped" into the connector housings and or held in place by plastic tabs.

Be cautious not to break them off, as then the wire or better its terminal will not be properly secured in the housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is specific tools available for different types of terminals (the metal part at the end of wire) . small screwdrivers may work. ---> see below picture for examples

usually these are "clipped" into the connector housings and or held in place by plastic tabs.

Be cautious not to break them off, as then the wire or better its terminal will not be properly secured in the housing.

View attachment 180657
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts