Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to get a different one? or can I use the existing drive shaft? What parts do I need?

·
Registered
146 Posts
:stupid :lolup

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why I can't do it? I'd rather just buy a new one, probably cheaper than payin someone $60 per hour to hang out under my truck all day.

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
muddy4x4 said:
Why I can't do it? I'd rather just buy a new one, probably cheaper than payin someone $60 per hour to hang out under my truck all day.
what?
you mean change the length of your driveshaft, as in extending it right?
unbolt it, tell them how much longer you need it, they will cut it apart, put in a new longer tube, and then weld it back toghether straight, then balance it. probably cost you $100
or you coul dbuy a new one for $300 or since they have to buy all new parts. slip yoke, stub, CV head, joints....

if you are asking this question i doubt you have the machines(lathe, and balancer ) to do this job right

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:cry

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry !!!!!

·
Banned
146 Posts
I just so happened to take mine in last Friday and they are charging me $125.00 to extend it. Its better that you let a pro handle this one than try to do it yourself. I have seen really funny homemade drive shafts that only end up breaking after a few off-road miles.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Do I need to get a different one?
Only if its broken.

or can I use the existing drive shaft?
Sure, as long as it isn't broken.

What parts do I need?
None, as long as nothing is broken.

Now that we are done playing games, advise us as to what you are doing, so we can answer your question properly. :twak

If you just want to lengthen your shaft for the hell of it, yes you can. I would advise against it, unless you know what you are doing, cuz keeping it balanced will be a biatch.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Now that we are done playing games, advise us as to what you are doing, so we can answer your question properly. :twak

If you just want to lengthen your shaft for the hell of it, yes you can. I would advise against it, unless you know what you are doing, cuz keeping it balanced will be a biatch.
:stupid I was trying to get a handle on that as well. Why do you need a longer driveshaft? A lift kit? Moving the rear differential back?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You can do it yourself but it won't work well, or at all, at road speeds. A driveshaft shop will machine the tube off your yokes and then weld a longer tube in then balance it.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
for a new drive shaft for my car carrier it costed me 240with tax. need it and it is impossible to find a replacement as it is a custom ds in the first place.

if its not broke dont mess with it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts