Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother got moved into his new house and I'm taking over his room. There's a 4"x2.5" hole in the sheetrock. Can I use a piece of screen and then putty over it, or do I need to make the hole square and use a patch of sheetrock?

On a side note in my brother's new house, the first thing he points out to anybody is that the Swinger fits in the garage and the garage already has a 220V outlet wired for a welder or big ass air compressor. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I am assuming that this is a "fist" sized hole. If this assumption is correct that would more than likely put the hole somewhere between four and 5-51/2 feet off the ground. Simply take a picture of your Bronco, blow it up to a 8x10 frame it and place it over the hole.:thumbup

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Two ways to fix that, both require cutting the hole larger, to a square, or rectangle shape...

1) use two small pieces of plywood, as backing. Slip the pieces behind the hole's sides, and screw thru the sheetrock, into the plywood. Then screw a patch to the plywood backing.

2) the California patch - cut the hole's sides to a bevel, and cut the patch with a bevel to fit. Use drywall mud as a 'glue' and set into place. Use long strips of painter's tape - the blue masking tape - and let it dry

Personally, I've always preferred the plywood backing (edit...)

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Mike C. said:
I am assuming that this is a "fist" sized hole. If this assumption is correct that would more than likely put the hole somewhere between four and 5-51/2 feet off the ground. Simply take a picture of your Bronco, blow it up to a 8x10 frame it and place it over the hole.

Haha, yeah that might work. Actually its about 3 feet from the floor. Maybe he kicked the wall? I don't remember how the hole got there. :shrug

Thanks David, I may try the plywood method. The room needs painting real bad, so if I fix it, I'm gonna do it right and make the room real nice. I plan on painting it back blue like it is, Ford blue, and hanging up all my Ford posters and signs and stuff.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
This makes me think of the part in "Shawshank Redemption" when the Warden rips off the poster and discovers what Andy did.......:lolup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,873 Posts
davids78bronco said:
1) use two small pieces of plywood, as backing. Slip the pieces behind the hole's sides, and screw thru the sheetrock, into the plywood. Then screw a patch to the plywood backing.

Personally, I've always preferred the plywood backing (edit...)

I prefer that meythod as well. But I usually only use 1 piece of 1X3 in the center of the hole. Shouldn't need 2 pieces of wood for a hole that size.

Cut the board AT LEAST twice as tall as the hole. Put a screw in the very middle of the board to use as a handle so you don't drop in into the wall :banghead
Screw 1 (only 1 this isn't rocket science) sry wall screw in the top and bottom of the hole into the board. Try to keep the screws an inch of 2 away from the hole so you don't crumble more drywall.

Cut small piece of drywall to fit into hole. Screw in place with 1 drywall screw (only 1 agian, too much will crak stuff) then mud it and sand it untill smooth.

Paint for taste :beer

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i would do the same as fire guy mention but i also used two peices like david said. it is just a matter which is more comfortable for u. one or two.
I had to repair holes in my room when we moved into a new house. and the electical box was hanging around not mounted to a stud. fixed that all by my self. I like doing things with my hand and mind.:thumbup :thumbup oh i was 14 at the time. so if i could do it then i am sure u can do it too.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,873 Posts
Speaking from experience?
BroncoBabe said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Fireguy50
Put a screw in the very middle of the board to use as a handle so you don't drop in into the wall
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking from experience? :shrug

Never lost a piece of wood in a wall......
....But, other more shallow, moist holes :shrug maybe

:thumbup

I do most of the things I see on the home imporvemnt shows.
I full of all kinds of tricks. Just not a master of any of them :(

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
Never lost a piece of wood in a wall......
....But, other more shallow, moist holes :shrug maybe
yeah, those 13 year olds are real hard to get lost in:goodfinge

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
congrats on taken over the room mel:thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts