Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(wasnt sure where to post this)how can i get my engine compartment clean of mud and whatever ive tried the hose ive tried soap, ive tried gunk,idk what else to do,it doesnt come clean

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
-SIMPLE GREEN

-RAGS

-Water HOSE

COVER YOUR COIL, DISTRIBUTOR CAP, AND RELAYS. REMOVE ANY WATER FROM AIRBOX BEFORE STARTING ENGINE.

&

(don't type your title in caps)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Buy a gallon of "Purple Power" That stuff works wonders. I'm going to do it to the bronco I just picked up as soon as it's above freezing and I can use the hose again -_-

·
Trying to finish it
1,355 Posts
First- find some high water. Second- put it in four high. Third- stand on gas pedal. Repeat as many times until the engine is clean.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Buy a gallon of "Purple Power" That stuff works wonders. I'm going to do it to the bronco I just picked up as soon as it's above freezing and I can use the hose again -_-

don't let it sit for long with purple power for long, it eats away aluminum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i personally think a good ol' can o' tire shine works good... makes the engine look all show quality and whatnot

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
hotsy man, clean it with steam, works WONDERS. seriously makes it look like a brand new engine...
Just wondering. What kind of steam cleaner/where do you get it done. Don't know if you have access to someone that actually steam cleans them or not or know a guy...etc. OR do you use a cheapo steam cleaner to get the job done?

KC

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
First- find some high water. Second- put it in four high. Third- stand on gas pedal. Repeat as many times until the engine is clean.
:histerica:histericaIts funny, My buddys and I all drive around the lakes before we leave the mud flats to clean our trucks off a little... good shit man...

·
Registered
71 Posts
My secret is a cold engine, purple power and pressure wash it. Never have covered the distributor or coil and have never had a problem. I had a 79' XLT that had a bunch of grease build up when I bought it so I had to do some picky detail and that time I used Gunk engine degreaser for the heavy stuff. Also I went to the pressure wash numerous times. Once you do it and then the engine dries you will find what you missed. Be patient!

-Dikthod

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ever wonder how a used car lot makes an old engine look pretty? you know they don't put much time or effort into it so they maximize their profit. Here is a trick they use:

1. give everything a good coating with simple green and then close the hood and let the engine idle until it is all dry.
2. Then pressure wash it off (wait for the engine to cool first). A second simple green/rinse event may be needed for super dirty areas.
3. coat everything again with plain old Armor All and let then engine idle until dry.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You know, I've done that. It smells horrid but it works as well. But I was doing it on sleds *snowmachines* that have been abused. Much smaller engine ofcourse.

·
Trying to finish it
1,355 Posts
another little thing you can do to a motor is getting it "hot tanked" but thats when you have one pulled out and the internals out. meaning only the block is left

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Why not just buy a can of engine cleaner, read the directions, and grab a stack of quarters to use it at the DIY car wash? :shrug

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
I would use any of the products mentioned but I suggest that you get a brush not to big or small with some old rags and do a small section at a time until you are satisfied.
You have to get the "cleaner" to penetrate so it will loosen the grease and then use water to finish and wipe dry.
I did it this way on the underneath of my hood and engine compartment on everything including the inside sheetmetal and where the paint was still good I waxed it, drip rails etc.

Now maybe that's too much for everyone but my engine bay is clean and now it takes very little effort to keep clean.

:thumbup

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what is simple green? i never herd of this before

1 - 20 of 48 Posts