Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ford factory radio and im replacing it. To get it out i know you put the tools in those four holes, then shouldnt it slide right out w/o removing the dash? or is there something im missing?

·
Registered
139 Posts
it says it should slide right out but that doesnt happen. i put a new cdplayer in mine the other day and u gota make sure u realy jam the pins into the holes and then what i did was open the glove department and i stuck my hand through the back and pushed it out. takes some effort and a little bit of time. i also removed the dash that was surrounding the heat and cool settings it helped a little

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how did you get the dash part off?

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
you dont need to take any dash off, you need a special tool to slide into those 4 holes around the factory reciever, if you dont have one, drive down to your local best buy, tweeter or any other car audio store, ask them, if they can pop it out for you, thats what i did after i still couldnt get mine out with the tool i bought, it was crap. they did it for me for nothing, drove home carefull not to let it slide all the way back in, and swapped it out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
blueoval78 said:
you dont need to take any dash off, you need a special tool to slide into those 4 holes around the factory reciever, if you dont have one, drive down to your local best buy, tweeter or any other car audio store, ask them, if they can pop it out for you, thats what i did after i still couldnt get mine out with the tool i bought, it was crap. they did it for me for nothing, drove home carefull not to let it slide all the way back in, and swapped it out.
Tool, schmool .... I used one of the wife's coat hangers to get the radio out of my pa's 92 ... no problems, just push them in as far as they'll go, then wiggle the bugger out.
note - one coat hanger was destroyed in the removal of this radio :toothless

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have changed five of these things, and the trick is to only push the tools in until they click into place. It doesn't push the clips all the way if you push the tools all the way in. Then you pull the left one over to the left and the right one over to the right(kind of like you are trying to rip the radio in half vertically) and then pull outward. Just keep the pressure on the tools until it is out. It will come out easy if you do it right!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got everything out and wired it all up out side the truck and i had one plug sitting inside the hole where the radio was, and then i went to grab it and SPARK one of the wires w/an open end mustve hit a peice of metal. Now when i plug in the new harnesses to the new radio, nothing. Even if i take the harnesses off and plug the original plugs into the original radio, nothing. I checked the fuses and all, none of them were fried! WTF is goin on here!!! :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
Registered
156 Posts
do you have an inline fuse on the radio? check all your fuses again, I'm positive you'll find a blown one.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did and i got power to it. Now speakers wont play. So here's my plan. We got the speaker wire from the live cdplayer and touched it directly to a speaker that i had in my lap and it played, so i'm going to get a bunch of speaker wire and totally bypass the Ford electrical B/S and run the wires from the cdplayer thru the truck and to the speakers, like you would for subs. Does that sound ok?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does your truck have Premium sound? If so your speakers may not work if you bypass the factory plugs. I remember reading something about ford using a weird wiring system on these setups. Maybe Im wrong. I guess it cant hurt to try.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I did all of this in my tech writeup "CD/MP3 player install" very easy all i needed was a circut city wire harness and then just connect 3 things works like a charm. if you dont want the hassel of having to connect all of that you should just go to circut city and tell them you need a harness for whatever head unit you have and tell them you have ford premium sound and thats it.

Thread is here:http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9242

·
Registered
14 Posts
okay guys need some help wit my 86b2 i dont understand the wires in for the radio and i dont know how to connect the wires to the new cdplayer since there different colors then the cdplayer so if anybody can help me our can draw me a diagram i'd really appericate it thanxs

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
read my post right above yours.......but then again I dont know how much that would help because "86b2" sounds like a 1986 Bronco II correct? so the wiring could be differant but I doubt it. If you cant find help here prehaps you should look at the Ranger Station for Rangers and Bronco IIs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mines is a 1986 Bronco 2 correct but none of my wires look anything like yours okay this is what i did i took my dash off and then i took out the shitty stock one and there are two sets of wires theres like maybe 10 to 12 wires connect to a fat one and then thers like 6 on the other side connected to another thick wire thats all i have

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
hum im not sure exactly how to help you without pictures. I get the main picture but its just hard to say what to do without looking at it for me. My suggestion would be to take it to circut city (if you have them on the west coast :shrug) or any other common electronics store and see what they would recommend to do or just have them install it. or go to the ranger station and im sure they are more able to help you there because this site is geared twards Fullsize Broncos which are pretty differant from Bronco II's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
guys all i wanna do is take out my old deck and put in my new deck thats all but i dont know how to connect the old wires from my truck to the new wires due to the truck wires being a different color to the new deck wires

1 - 20 of 28 Posts