Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of my transmission fluid swap and i am having trouble getting the trans pan off. I can not get the bolts off in the rear of the pan by the transmission crossmember. Do i have to take that down? Please help ugrent need my truck tonight. Thankyou

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
You need a 1/4" ratchet, a 3" or 4" extension, a 1/4" universal joint and a short 10mm (I think?) six-point socket)......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1/4 inch wont fit in there because of the metal mount on to p of the crossmember and under the transmission.:twak

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
You need a 1/4" ratchet, a 3" or 4" extension, a 1/4" universal joint and a short 10mm (I think?) six-point socket)......
That should work. If you're in a pinch, a 10mm 12-point wrench will work also. It is a slow go but it can be done. Got any ratchet wrenches? Do the AOD's have torque converter drain plugs? If it does, drain that too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no not saying it was your fault at all was seeing maybe if you had any other suggestions. your help is very much appreciated

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
no not saying it was your fault at all was seeing maybe if you had any other suggestions. your help is very much appreciated
Even though you're from Joy-See, I still might help you out---can you drill some 9/16" diameter holes thru that cross member so that you can get a socket up to those pan bolts?.......

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
13bronco, are you trying to do this without a 1/4" universal joint? If so(or you don't have one), break out the wrench and go to work. We wouldn't tell you wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have not tried to drill holes in cross member and i am going to try to get a ten wrench in there now. here is a picture of what is keepin me as to get to those bolts it is circled in red
[/IMG]

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
hmmm, I just changed my filter and fluid a couple of weeks ago---I remember that space as being small and a bit tight, but I still got the socket up there ok.

You are using 1/4" drive stuff, arencha?........

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
His transmission mount is too far forward or backwards or something.

Get a floor jack with a block of wood and jack up to the transfer case.

Then you need to remove the two transmission mount nuts on the bottom of the crossmember(the two in the center of the crossmember visible in your pic)as well as remove the two bolts attaching the mount to the transmission.

Once you remove the two nuts and two bolts, use your jack to lift the transfer case/transmission off the mount you just loosened, and remove it. Leave the transfer case jacked up until you are finished.

That will give you the clearence to access those last two pan bolts.

Inspect that transmission mount to see if it was installed correctly(the "R" goes to the rear) and for damage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i am using the 1/4 it will for sure not go in. did yours have that black metal peice that i circled?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
yeah i am using the 1/4 it will for sure not go in. did yours have that black metal peice that i circled?
I'm trying to recall (it's pitch black out right now) but I seem to remember that it was a bit smaller---or bent backwards.

More hmmmms......

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.8l E40D(soon to be ZF) 4:56 and 35s
502 Posts
Yes the transmission mount is backwards. The mount itself should be labeled with a rear on the rear.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I was gonna say, "take the transmission mount off, duh," but it looks like you guys got 'er covered. :thumbup

Ford has always amused me with their occasional but blatant disregard for service-UNfriendly designs, e.g. our trucks and the oil filter "oopsie" cavity. I can't stand the way Ford has jammed the engine under the dashboard in most of their truck designs since the modular crap-boxes came out. GM always trumps 'em, though. Ever change the rear spark plugs on a 3.4L DOHC Lumina or Monte Carlo? What a fuggin' joke those are to access!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how do i get that mount off is it just like 941504x4eb said remove the 4 bolts in center then jack up the trans alittle and slide it out and then slide it back in ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts