Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
A D44 is a good axle but I wouldn't run anything over a 35" tire with one unless I significantly beefed it up. And, if I was going to drop some coin on beefing up an axle I would save it for a D60. The 60 isn't bulletproof because you can still break them. But they are a vastly improved platform to start with when compared with a 44. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. For example, I've seen tons of show trucks running 44's on a stock D44 with some new gears thrown in. But you sure wouldn't get very far offroad with that combo.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
gunmetal79 said:
A D44 is a good axle but I wouldn't run anything over a 35" tire with one unless I significantly beefed it up. And, if I was going to drop some coin on beefing up an axle I would save it for a D60. The 60 isn't bulletproof because you can still break them. But they are a vastly improved platform to start with when compared with a 44. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. For example, I've seen tons of show trucks running 44's on a stock D44 with some new gears thrown in. But you sure wouldn't get very far offroad with that combo.
Generally the case. Depends on the style of driving too. But, getting after it with spinning tires would twist a shaft or blow the joint in short order.

If its got coils, its a D44. If its got leaves, somebody's been having fun with this truck previously.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its got the coils so its the d44, i will mostly be doing onroad driving and a little bit of off roading for now but later on that could all change, so whats the best for off-roading and on-road? would the d44 handle this?
thanks for all the help guys
justin

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
The factory D44 in my '78 Bronc has been handling off-road chores for years without any breakage. Shimmed Trak-Loc, 4.10 gears and Yukon axles/spicer 760x joints are the only upgrades. Oh..and I'm running 38.5 TSL-SXs. I don't hammer it hard..but it's seen a lot of what Tellico, WITC, Rausch Creek, etc have had to throw at it. I'm more worreid about loosing a ball joint than anything else..that seems to the the weakest link, along with the spyder gears.

·
No avatar required
10,958 Posts
I blame myself more than the ball joints. They "felt" tight when I regeared and I was in a hurry so I left them alone. Lesson learned. I replaced everything on the axle, wheel bearings, brakes, etc...... I should have just replaced the ball joints too. :banghead

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
I also use only Moog or Spicer ball joints..too many horror stories about the Autjoke or Advance parts. The Moogs are petty cheap from Summit these days too..I just picked up a spare set to carry to Pa in a few weeks, just in case I pull a 'Steve'..:goodfinge

·
No avatar required
10,958 Posts
bmc69 said:
I also use only Moog or Spicer ball joints..too many horror stories about the Autjoke or Advance parts. The Moogs are petty cheap from Summit these days too..I just picked up a spare set to carry to Pa in a few weeks, just in case I pull a 'Steve'..:goodfinge

I carry a spare set of knuckles now, and a ball joint press. :brownbag

·
Registered
327 Posts
As far as the coils are concerned, just remember that that rule only refers to Broncos. Some of the 3/4 ton trucks in the 70s had Dana 44 HD axles, basically a weird cross between a 44 and 60 (44 diff, thicker tubes, 8-lug, etc). These axles are leaf sprung.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts