Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 1989 Bronco with a 302 and auto. I have been doing some low buck maintanance and happened upon a junk yard that has a tail gate for sale for $40 with no rust, the question i have is how do i lower the window at the junk yard without power so i can lower the tailgate and remove it. Any help would be great thanks....

Oh in the maintanance of my truck i've learned some tricks of my own, so i'm hoping i will be able to help others in the near future...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didn't look at it yet, will do it 2maro, are there any tricks. If i take a battery with me to the junk yard on monday can't i just run two wires to the motor and lower it, i don't want to wreck my new tail gate...

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,890 Posts
Yeah, a battery should do it if the motor's ok. Pull the access panel from inside. There's a connector with red & yellow wires coming from the motor near the middle of the tailgate. Usually it's positive to red & negative to yellow to lower. Keep your fingers & wires out of the way. That would be electrically lowering the window though, & we thought you wanted to lower it manually. :toothless

I used an 18v dewalt battery, jumpered to the motor, to get a tailgate window down at the junkyard recently. Someone on FSB mentioned it, I tried it, & it worked great (Thanks FSB :thumbup). I had the wires backwards at 1st, reversed them & viola. It's easier to carry than a car battery too.

·
Roll Tide!
2,696 Posts
You've gotta take the motor out to get the back window down manually...
Taking the motor out while the window is up is a PITA.

didn't look at it yet, will do it 2maro, are there any tricks. If i take a battery with me to the junk yard on monday can't i just run two wires to the motor and lower it, i don't want to wreck my new tail gate...
Dont worry, taking the motor out wont hurt anything. Its only 3 bolts and it comes right off and there is a switch in the bottom of the tailgate to get the motor out. Best thing to do is drill holes in the center over where the bolts are so you can just stick a socket down in there. The bolts are a bit of a pain to get out if your just using wrench.

·
Roll Tide!
2,696 Posts
Maybe. But it's a helluvalot easier than taking it out with the window DOWN. ;) :duh
yeah, but when it is up and also with the tailgate up and being in the back trying to get a wrench back up in there to loosen those bolts can be a bit irritating.

luckly though, the gear on my motor was stripped and i could easily pull the window up with the tailgate down and get the motor out with the tailgate down.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
When I first got mine the window didn't work and instead of trying to get the motor out with the tailgate up, I lifted the the rear of the top with my back and opened the tailgate enough to get the window past the edge of the top, then very carefully lowered the gate. It would obviously be easier with a buddy helping, but it can be done solo.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help, i went to the junk yard today and with the help of a motorcycle bat got the back window down, i wasn't counting on the motor to still be any good, but it was so i didn't even have to take the motor off which saved time, it was frikn cold with the wind today in three rivers MI...

Anyway have another tailgate question, i removed the lock cylinder from my new used gate with a drill (no key) didn't damage the window mech thats attached to the cylinder. Correct me if i'm wrong but with the key on the gate thats on my bronc now you just pull the c clips put the key in turn it and it comes apart and you can swap the cylinder over to the new gate? this set up is all new to me on these tail gates...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the gates swapped over and now i have a bronco with no tailgate rust yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss........

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
I lifted the the rear of the top with my back and opened the tailgate enough to get the window past the edge of the top,

then very carefully lowered the gate. It would obviously be easier with a buddy helping, but it can be done solo.
Bringing this back from the dead.:p

This is definitely an option.

Crazy nOOB/academic question:
Has anyone been desperate enough to get the window down/out that they deliberately shattered it?😬

·
Eric
2,583 Posts

Crazy nOOB/academic question:
Has anyone been desperate enough to get the window down/out that they deliberately shattered it?😬
Not with the cost of replacement glass, nowadays. :)

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,071 Posts
Been there, done that... recently. Topper lift... NOT broken glass. Ain't no body got time fo dat silly sh!t.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts