Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i swapped a dana 44 under my bronco and when i finished it i drove it around. i parked it and noticed gear oil all over my passenger tire. so i bought axle seals and now i'm wondering how to put them in. Do i need to pull the diff cover off and then take out carrier to get at the seals? thats what i thought i had to do but my friend told me i just have to pull the axle shafts and the seals will come out with them? that sounds wrong.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
You will have to pull both the axles and the carrier in order to replace the axle seals. Drain the pumpkin first, pull the wheels, hubs, axle spindles and then slide the axle shafts out. Rermove the bearing caps from the carrier (mark the first so you don't mix them up or swap the top to the bottom), remove the carrier keeping track of where the shim go, pull the seals and replace them, reinstall everything working in reverse order. It is a long drawn out job so take your time and ask a friend to help you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you probably know this, but make sure you put some gear oil on the seals before you install them. if you don't, the rubber will burn up and the seal will be useless. (happened to me on my drive shaft)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts