Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good news is that I got my wheel back on after it sheered all the studs and about fell off. The bad news is that after I tested it around the block it died and refuses to start again.

The engine was running well previously. Good power, etc..... It did this once before but then fixed itself 10 minutes later and has been fine until now.

For a 1990 5.0 engine, how do I test to see if it is getting spark and fuel? I don't want to fry my computer and I'm not sure how to check for fuel delivery on an EFI system.

Also, what are the usual suspects when the engine ran fine before now refuses to fire up. Everything turns like it should and it doesn't make any funny sounds. It does not sputter and almost fire; rather, it seems like I am trying to start something that is out of gas or is missing the rotor from the distributor cap (it has both BTW!)

Thanks

Bakes

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Dunno about the fuel test for an EFI. When I have to check my plugs I just pulled one, put the wire on, grounded the plug, and had somebody turn it over a few times. You'll see the spark jumping the gap. Now remember to protect your hands and not zap yourself. :rockon

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,358 Posts
You can check at the fuel rail, for fuel pressure. There is a valve that should have a cap on, unscrew the cap and find a small screw driver to depress the valve (keep your eyes away) gas shold shoot up, if not you have a problem.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Two ideas for a fuel check, first, there is a small air valve type fitting somewhere on the fuel rail, remove the cap, and take a small screwdriver and press down on it. If the fuel pump is still working, there will be a pressure release, hence fuel will come out. Or, spray an ignitable substance down the throttle body and see if it tries to start. If it does, you have a possible fuel system problem....it take's a fairly large amount of fluid to make this work.

I'm not sure how proper these techniques are, but I've used them in the past to help diagnose EFI fuel system problems, and it seems to work well.

As far as checking for spark, I agree with Aikidoka.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
another way i've learned is shoot some starter fuild down the throttle body and try to start it. if it doesnt start then it might be ignition problems b/c there is fuel but nothing is fireing it. if it does start then it might be fuel problem b/c the ignition fired the starter fuild.
i also listen to the fuel pumps (front one under the driver usually the easy one to listen too). it should make a whinning noise when u turn on the ignition. it only makes the whinning noise for only couple seconds. it usually means it's working
good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts