Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1980 FSB with the 351. The temp gauge is not showing anything. I ran it for a few minutes. The hoses by the radiator were cool. The only place there was warmth was by the thermostat housing. Want to make sure I don't destroy my new toy. Wanting to know the best way to test if my water pump was working. The heater was blowing hot air.
Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Most likely you thermostat is either missing or stuck open. they are cheap and easy to repair. I would start there.

But, If you take the radator cap off when its cool and start it up. You should eventually see water flowing into the radiator when the t-stat opens. If you don't you might not have enough coolant or the t-stat is stuck or water pump no worky.

·
Registered
710 Posts
that's the only way I know to check it, see if the water is running through the radiator. It should be visible after a few minutes.

it's rare but sometimes pumps can break like that. usually the bearings go out and they start leaking then seize up and pop a belt, but i had a toyota supra twin turbo, went to do a big burnout and snapped the shaft of the waterpump clean in two. the shaft fell out and it was obvious that it was broken, but I see how it is possible for it to break and the shaft stay in place... Like I said that would be very rare though.

do what the person above said, look for flowing water, if you need to add water go ahead and do it. Your temperature gauge might not be working, but bear in mind it takes these big V8's a long time to heat up. In the morning I get a good way down the road before my temp gauge registers anything (and yes I do let it warm up for a bit before driving).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are all right.

I found that where I expect the temp. sensor goes on the thermostat housing there is a wire hanging and a what looks like a broken plug there. I need to figure out if I have the original engine then order some parts.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts