Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I think you'll have to pull your spider gears out and push it out towards the brake side. that's a tough one. Where did the axle break?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
A coat hanger straightened out with a loop on one end big enough to go over the remaining part of the axel shaft at an angle. slide the coat hanger into the axel tube,then over the axel,the loop should be at such an angle that when you slowly pull the coat hanger out it jambs on the axel enough to pull the axel out.This is assuming that there is enough axel to grab on to.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The coat hanger idea would work great.. I didnt break one yet, but i carry spare shafts, but dont know how I would get the stub out if it broke..

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
bronco1 said:
A coat hanger straightened out with a loop on one end big enough to go over the remaining part of the axel shaft at an angle. slide the coat hanger into the axel tube,then over the axel,the loop should be at such an angle that when you slowly pull the coat hanger out it jambs on the axel enough to pull the axel out.This is assuming that there is enough axel to grab on to.
I considered the coat hanger, but the opening isn't big enough for the axle and the coat hanger. He will have to pull out the bearings first, then that will work.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fireguy50 said:
remove the cover and C clip
Gotcha, but how are you going to get a 12" piece of broken axle shaft out through the carrier, while the carrier is still in the housing??? If you pop the bearing out, how hard wold that be to pop out the bearing and press it back in on the trail??

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
crackhead said:
Gotcha, but how are you going to get a 12" piece of broken axle shaft out through the carrier, while the carrier is still in the housing??? If you pop the bearing out, how hard wold that be to pop out the bearing and press it back in on the trail??
Take the carrier out. It's not that hard. Make sure you carry gear oil, or at least a way to capture and reuse the original gear oil. Also make sure you have all the tools you need to remove the carrier and cross shaft. also be careful to make sure you know which side the shims came from.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slim said:
Unbolt your axle housing from the springs and stand it up on its end and shake it out.:thumbup
Dude, how about I give you a call when it happens and you can show me how its done.. :histerica

When 8.8 shafts break, where do they usually do it?? Carrier end, brake end??

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
crackhead said:
Dude, how about I give you a call when it happens and you can show me how its done.. :histerica

When 8.8 shafts break, where do they usually do it?? Carrier end, brake end??
Axles typically break at the most inconvenient place to get at them. Usually, they break at the carrier. I've seen guys carry a broomstick with a magnet on it. That works sometimes.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Broomstick with a magnet?? Thats friggen hilarious.. My spares have a crazy valley where the axle was riding on the outer bearing.. I can see how that could def be a weak point..

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I didn't notice the part of it being on the trail. You could do what I suggested but out in the bush, that would be a last resort. I would get the strongest magnet I could find and stick it to the end of a broom, like was already suggested.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Steve83 said:
The weakest point is at the splines, but the highest stress is where the bearings ride. It should never break in the middle.
yes. I would say that more than likely you'll get the break at the splines, unless you are having bearing issues and it's damaging the thick azz outer shaft area, which actually necks up to about 1.62" dia, thicker than 35 spline shafts.

which brings me to my other point, you likely will not break an 8.8 shaft, at least not a stock one. Think Chris broke a Yukon one once (at the spline area). But with the 8.8 almost always you have some other major housing issue with an 8.8.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cant run a 9" (VSS issues) but it looks like ill be gettin the parts together to run a spooled 60.. For the price, it really dont get much better..

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
most auto parts stores have a retreaver magnet. it is a high power magnet on a teliscopic wand (just like a smae radio antenia. it is about the size of a ball point pen and sticks almost anywhere....mike

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can't you just pull the opposite axle and push it out with the broomstick method from the other side? Disreguard my post if this is what waltman was leading to.

Will the axle break clean enough to slide out through the bearing? I would think you will have some twist or burr at the break which may prevent the easy extraction.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts