Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm doing head gaskets on my 1990 bronco 5.0 and i don't know how to get at the bolts to the crossover pipe behind the cylinders heads. what tools or tricks can you do to get this metal tube off!?

·
Registered
710 Posts
seems like you just use a box end wrench on it... I've got the ratchet wrenches, but any will do.

It's got little gaskets that go there as well, so if you don't have more then try to save the one's you have.

P.s. if you need to make gaskets for something use the copper stuff. It's in a tube just like silicone, but is much more heat resistant!

·
Registered
710 Posts
that head gasket job is a bear!!! I feel for you, I just did mine not too long ago.

while you've got all that crap off go on and replace all the stuff you can! new water pump is good. A new timing set will make your truck run like new again! Mine's got 200k on the odometer, replaced the timing set and it's literally like a brand new engine.

stay with it, you'll get it done, but seems like there's no end to all the junk they put on top of that motor.

also, make sure you have the heads checked at a machine shop, I was in a hurry and almost didn't do it, but someone talked me into it and turned out one head was cracked all the way down the whole head.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I did mine i used a combination of an open end wrench and ratchet. Im not sure how the body lift affects it though, and definetly have both heads checked out. I would bet that you have at least 1 cracked head.

·
Registered
331 Posts
you should always, always take your heads to a machinist if you have a blown gasket(I take them in anytime i take them off for whatever reason)... most of the time its because of head warpage, where they will plane the head, and ****aflux, using a magnetic powder to find possible cracks... unless of course youre a sadist and like doin the job all over again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts