Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an interesting cart before the horse situation where I have the fiberglass shell I want before the truck is ready and I want to come up with a way to store it that will also be where I store it when the truck is done and I'm running around in the summer. I have a super tall garage (13-1/2') and I want to hang the roof from ceiling. I'm thinking about adding a Thule track system to the top of the shell that I'll use for load bars in the future. I would like to be able to hang the shell from the track attachment points and I'd use fender washers or a strip of metal inside the shell. Has anyone ever done something similar to this and if so how did it work out?

Anyone know how much the shell actually weighs? I know I can pick it up myself but I'm super strong :histerica so thats no true testament to how much it weighs.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think the shell with glass is roughly 150lbs. I currently keep mine in a shed in the back yard, but I am buying another house this summer and plan to do something similar to what you are describing that will allow me to lift and lower the shell onto the vehicle and keep it suspended overhead when not in use.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that Thule requires their product to withstand a vertical pullout of 800 lbs per load bar so I should be good from that perspective as well but I would really like to hear from someone who's already done this. Come on, I know someone is out there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I currently have mine hanging in my garage by 3 pull type ratchet straps.

It makes it super easy to back under it to put it back on and take it off alone.

I just attach the straps under the inner lip. Two in the front one in rear center.

·
Registered
859 Posts

It makes it super easy to back under it to put it back on and take it off alone.

I just attach the straps under the inner lip. Two in the front one in rear center.
How do you go about controlling and lowering back onto the truck? A little at a time on each strap? I

I was thinking about creating a harness from straps and then using a ceiling hoist to raise/lower the thing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

any chance you have a picture?

·
Registered
375 Posts
any chance you have a picture?
I will upload one when I get home tomorrow. Enjoying the freezing weather in Cape cod today.

I only raised mine about 4 inches off the bronco so lowering it one strap at a time is not an issue for me. (8'ceiling height in my garage)

Takes me about 10-15 minutes to put it on or take it off using a 12v dewalt impact.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,663 Posts
I set it out on 2 saw-horses in the field and go get it when I'm done playing topless. :shrug

pretty sure I remember Crazed or someone setting up a Thule pulley system for it.
in the past... I've used motorcycle lock-straps with the hooks hanging off a roll-up garage door frame. :brownbag

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you search "truck canopy storage" in Google images you'll find everything from pulley systems, Harbor Freight winches, modified engine hoists etc...

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm going to pop my top for the season today after work I hope. Should be a little better year than last since I got my AC to work. Last year I sat mine on two 2x4 in my back yard but this year they are going in one of the barns. The humidity got to it last year along with a few spider nest. lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
id be careful how u set up your system even though its rated for 800 lbs u have to remember fiber glass is easily broken cracked and warped if hung for too long what about building a roling adjustable shelf with rollers wher it fits around ur truck and u can roll the shell on to the back of ur rig??

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
id be careful how u set up your system even though its rated for 800 lbs u have to remember fiber glass is easily broken cracked and warped if hung for too long what about building a roling adjustable shelf with rollers wher it fits around ur truck and u can roll the shell on to the back of ur rig??
Trust me I'm second guessing the approach, that's why I started the thread. The numbers sound like they will work but there is no real failsafe. I'm considering some hooks and pulleys hung from the ceiling right now and I'm thinking of a way to use a single line and multiple pulleys. This will do a few things, first it creates a block system to make lifting the roof easier and second it makes lifting and lowering easier because I'd be dealing with a single line.

I'm thinking about a hook at the passenger rear that connects to a pulley above that hook with a line extending the length of the passenger side to another pulley, down to another hook at the passenger front, back up to another pulley that directs the line over to the driver's front to a pulley, down to a hook at the driver's front, back up to a hook directing the line to the driver's rear, back down to the final hook at the driver's rear, back up to a pulley in the ceiling and ultimately back down to a ground level where I can anchor the line. This seems like a real Rube Goldberg solution which I don't like, but it makes lifting and lowering a lot easier. I need to think about this some more and price up all these damn pulleys.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had my 89 Bronco topper stored in the back yard on the ground on 2x4s. Strong wind came up and flipped it 100 feet into the pasture. Yup - trashed it. Needless to say, only going to store my 96 topper INSIDE next time!

·
I ♥ TTB
4,274 Posts
I put an ATV winch on the wall of my shop and a couple of pulleys, I just back under it, hook to my roof rack with some tie downs and hoist away. Make it a 1 man job. I also use the method for the canopy on my truck.
I had previously built a framework to fit under the rails with eyelets prior to adding my roof rack. It was doable but was cumbersome to get the frame underneath alone.

This is the only pic I have apparently, shows my truck canopy with the framework. As mentioned I just used the roof rack now (same on bronco). ATV winch from Harbor Freight w/remote makes it an easy 1 person job :thumbup

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after an 1-1/2 hour drive the seller of the black '92 roof that was in "good" condition and just needed to be cleaned turned out to have a blue '92 roof that needed repair to the fiberglass. Needless to say I don't need to build a way to store a roof anytime soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts