Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell if the engine is misfiring? I just did the Six Litre Tune-up and gapped out the plugs to .055 and advanced the timing to 12 degrees. I had in fact advanced the timing before the tune-up and had more take-off power. I guess gapping out the plugs increased my power, but if it did the power is more on the top end and smoother. I don't get that throw you back in your seat feel. Things I haven't done are: put a new motorcraft coil on, new cap and rotor, or advanced the timing to 13.5. Im getting a motorcraft coil and a new cap and rotor. The wires and plugs are only a couple months old. My only other concern is I didin't get my the boots on a few of the spark plugs completely. I know they make a click, but a few made a very silent click I guess. Would it be very obvious how the engine runs if that was a problem?
Thanks-

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If you can pull back on them and they don't come off with just a slight tug you're ok. If they weren't on right you WOULD know. It would run like dog shit.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A misfire or a loose spark plug boot? I could tell by how the engine runs? Its seems to have good power. I mean I guess a 5.0 is a small engine for our heavy trucks. I will see what a new cap/rotor does and the motorcraft coil. Plus, i will experiment with the timing a little more and going to 13.5 degrees.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Don't expect to get your head thrown back in your seat....be careful on the timing....leave it at 12.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, really the biggest gain im looking for is gas mileage. Why not try 13.5 degrees like the six litre tuneup suggests? And if I don't mess with the timing, I will see what a new rotor and cap does along with a new motorcraft coil.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
you're not gonna get a whole lot MPG wise. synthetic fluids, free flowing exhaust, and foam air filter will get you best MPG gains, along with lighter right foot.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bump in timing up 12 is actually is saving me a good bit of gas. I just wanted to see if I could get a little more out of it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, just replaced the coil with motorcraft and also the cap and rotor which had a good bit of corosion on it. Now, I actually feel the power gains from the Six Litre Tune-up. My timing is currently at 12.5-13 degrees BTDC. I don't hear any consistant pinging or knocking. But, sometimes there might be a random knock here and there if you listen closely. Should I leave it or back it down to 11 or so? My next move is to clean the throttle body on the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts