Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Did a search and saw a bunch of different opinions wrt what thermostat you should use. My problem is that I had (removed on FIREGUY's advice) a hypertech chip and not sure what thermostat the previous owner may have installed. The guage on the dash always shows me about an midway between 1/4 and 1/2 for temp after it warms up, and not sure if I'm running too cold. Any advice? Thanks:banghead

·
College User
2,013 Posts
You prob have the stock temp of 192-195 degrees. I just put a 180 in so I don't have any numbers if it is any better or not, but I think it is causing more gas to be burnt.

·
College User
2,013 Posts
With the 180 it opens rught below below the word NORMAL

with the 195 it was between the NO RMAL spot, maybe that helps...

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
yeah, unless your tuned for it, the stock 195* thermostate is perfect. Colder ones will cause problems, agian unless you're tuned for it.
You should probably replace it if in doubt, it's under $10 and 20 minutes of work.

the problem with that chip you had is.....
It wasn't tuned for your engine / aplication. IT was a gernic chip, whihc are never correct. There are probably a few thousand people that have custom tuned chips, none of them are exactly the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fireguy,
It's seems to be runnin awfully cold, not sure if it is the environment lately (kind of chilly here in the PNW), but I seem to be getting worse mileage now after pulling the chip. Any preference for manufacturer on the t-stat?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
you get worse gass millage because the computer is always trying the ehat up the engine to operating temp.
what ever brand you want, just keep it stock 195

1 - 9 of 9 Posts