Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering how you can tell that your power steering pump is bad or going bad? Other than it leaking fluid or is that it! Was wondering if a weak pump(if poss.) could cause play in the steering.

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
No, a bad pump won't cause play in the steering in the sense that you're thinking, it'll just give weak power assist.

If you drove it around with a bad pump to the point that your arms were gorilla muscle'd because of no power assist, that could cause play, but only from the input shaft to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Loose steering really is the "TTB special". On my 85 I always had loose and vague steering until one day I decided to rebuild the whole front end. (it needed radius arm bushings and axle pivot bushings anyway).

All new bushings, new coils, shocks, all new steering linkage, balljoints, wheel bearings, and rag joint. After that it turned like a brand new truck (well, except for the 2.5 lane turning radius) but you know what I mean :goodfinge

It makes such a difference that it's now the first thing I do when I buy a TTB or TIB truck. It costs about $600 to do your self, but it's worth every nickel.

Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.