Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:whiteflag
ok like title asks, i am in prosess of rebuilding a truck 5.0 engine, i am honing out all cylinders and crosshatching them. i have some scratches in some of the cylinders that i can feel with my finger tips, (not finger nails) i already purchased a rebuild kit(stock) with pistons,. so my question is how far can i take the cylinders out and still use stock rings and pistons???? pistons are hypertec pistons. i can`t afford to buy a new rebuild kit and have block bored out. so can i forsay take cylinders out to say 4.005 or less?

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
blackbroncoxlt65 said:
ok like title asks, i am in prosess of rebuilding a truck 5.0 engine, i am honing out all cylinders and crosshatching them. i have some scratches in some of the cylinders that i can feel with my finger tips, (not finger nails) i already purchased a rebuild kit(stock) with pistons,. so my question is how far can i take the cylinders out and still use stock rings and pistons???? pistons are hypertec pistons. i can`t afford to buy a new rebuild kit and have block bored out. so can i forsay take cylinders out to say 4.005 or less?
What did you find in the engine that was so bad that you needed to replace the pistons?

If you cylinder walls are really scratched and scored up (ridge ring at the top?) and your pistons messesd up, you might want to consider taking the block to an automotive machine shop and have the block cleaned and checked. If thye have to oversize it, they'll tell you what size rings you need.

But if you feel your block is not significantly worn?

Then the simple answer to your question is....

It better be a whole lot less than 4.005.

You can not increase the bore of your cylinders much past .025 before you'll start needing to think about using oversized rings.

The good news.... You really can't significantly "oversize it" if you are properly using the cylinder hone.

(FYI- Rings can be bought without having to buy an engine kit.)

Hope this helps? :thumbup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts