Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All
I was up by bear valley on highway 4 yesterday. The road was coved with
snow so I put it in 4 high (first time going down the roadin 4hi) my truck handled like a slot car on the snow i was relay unpressed. But I got to thinking
what if any is the max speed you can go with it in 4hi? I didn't go over 30MPH because of road conditions and lack of driving experience on snow/ice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
jackmo said:
Hey All
I was up by bear valley on highway 4 yesterday. The road was coved with
snow so I put it in 4 high (first time going down the roadin 4hi) my truck handled like a slot car on the snow i was relay unpressed. But I got to thinking
what if any is the max speed you can go with it in 4hi? I didn't go over 30MPH because of road conditions and lack of driving experience on snow/ice.
I've had mine in 4Hi on the freeway (slushy road conditions) at 50mph. Not too terribly scary besides the fact that my radius arm brackets and bushings were CRAP then...but that makes for crap driving in any road conditions. Any faster than that and you don't need 4X on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,723 Posts
I used to run 65mph in 4hi on pavement regularly without problem.....off road I've been too chicken to get over 85. The front end would start vibrating above 70.....didn't need to go that fast anyway.
 

·
Stuck like a MoFo
Joined
·
3,450 Posts
to me it would depend on how good if shape my equipment is. IE...u-joints. Mine barely has any vibration at 70 but the motor is turnin 3k so i don't get the fast unless down hill
 

·
In The Matrix
Joined
·
1,896 Posts
yikesbb said:
I used to run 65mph in 4hi on pavement regularly without problem.....off road I've been too chicken to get over 85. The front end would start vibrating above 70.....didn't need to go that fast anyway.
hmm:shocked
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken most manufacturers advise 45-50 max in 4HI in the manuals. They may be playing it safe, but it begs the question of why you would need 4wd for anything faster than that. Other than maybe a snow covered multi-lane highway, if you can go that fast you prob don't really need it.
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
4 hi....as fast as snow covered road conditions will allow. I'm sure you know
4x4 doesn't mean you can stop any better than anyone else...duh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot every one I'm going back in 2 weeks. so that will be one less thing to ponder
 

·
Stuck like a MoFo
Joined
·
3,450 Posts
waltman said:
I'm sure you know
4x4 doesn't mean you can stop any better than anyone else...duh.
Actually most older trucks will stop better in 4wd. Since they don't have antilock, the fronts occasionally lock on ice, in 4wd mine stops 10 times better then not as the engine power keeps them from locking up
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
85f150 said:
Actually most older trucks will stop better in 4wd. Since they don't have antilock, the fronts occasionally lock on ice, in 4wd mine stops 10 times better then not as the engine power keeps them from locking up
You are talking about downshifting when you know you are going to stop. If you have to stop like now, your 4 wheel drive wont help you one bit.
 

·
Engineer
Joined
·
13,165 Posts
I've done 65-70 in the snow in 4 high and around 65 in 4Low playing on the snowmobile trails during the summer. I really dont think it matters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,719 Posts
waltman said:
You are talking about downshifting when you know you are going to stop. If you have to stop like now, your 4 wheel drive wont help you one bit.
It kinda does. Since the front and rear drivelines are connected as one in 4x4, when you brake instead of the fronts locking up right away and the rears not it slows the entire driveline as one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
I have gone 105 mph(gps verified) with my hubs locked in and other than a little more noise from the front nothing was bothered- the only difference if the transfer case was locked in is that the motor would have been powering the driveshaft and axles instead of the tires...(oh and i have good bushings and joints in my front axle-no slop) The reason Ford doesn't want you to go fast with the transfer case in 4 hi is the handling issues that arise from the lack of differential between the front and rear axles should you need to turn. The same reason the new rubicon jeep shuts the lockers off at something like 10 mph- to save the life of an idiot that shouldn't own a 4 wheel drive in the first place!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,427 Posts
4WD does prevent lockup, but only because the increased rotating mass reduces overall braking effect. Of course, if your truck is prone to lockup, or the road surface is slick, slightly reduced braking is still MUCH better than locked wheels.

I've done ~85 in 4H on dirt roads in south AZ - it helped; I needed to go that fast; I needed 4WD; braking was as good or better than 2H. :toothless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
Steve83 said:
I've done ~85 in 4H on dirt roads in south AZ - it helped; I needed to go that fast; I needed 4WD...
Robbing banks again? :twak :toothless
 

·
Roller rockers are gay
Joined
·
19,197 Posts
ToddACimer said:
I've done 65-70 in the snow in 4 high and around 65 in 4Low playing on the snowmobile trails during the summer. I really dont think it matters

65 in4lo, your engine was spinning how fast?
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
Iv done 80 in 4-Hi on gravel.

And yes in an older non antilock vehichle 4x4 will help you stop more controlled in a low traction situation. This is becouse of the front brake bias in the praportioning valve. Jently hit the brakes and the front locks up wile the back just rolls along. This ofcourse eliminates your ability to steer.

In 4x4 the front and rear have to spin at the same rate. So in 4x4 you can now aplie more braking force without locking your front tires up. Braking force is even front to back in 4x4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,638 Posts
Hey, a bit offtopic, but how was bear. Me and some friends are commin up there this weekend for some snowboarding. WE went earlier and the conditions were pretty good.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top