Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering, on my 92 Custom that basically has nothing extra on it except A/C, could I retrofit the CC into it if I found one at a PicknPull?

It's the basic EFI 300 w/M5OD. I think I got all the Vacuum issues resolved, now I'm trying to figure out why the exhaust still smells like it's not burning completely.

I was wondering what would be involved and how I would go about installing a Cruise Control unit into my truck. Or would I be better off looking into one of those aftermarket kits?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have never done it, and I don't want to sound negative, but I wouldn't do it. Knowing BKO's and the differences in wiring harness' and what the computer wants to see; I wouldn't. I have an 89 Custom, sometimes I am glad it has crank up windows and no tilt steering wheel, no Cruise Control; less stuff to have problems with. How about a brick for the pedal...? Just kidding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it would take some work, but it is doable. I have the straight six custom with the m5od , but it came with cruise. I had a minor issue with the cruise a few weeks ago that turned out to be a poorly seated fuse. However, this prompted me to poke around the cruise system a little. It does not look overly complicated to switch over, I would figure most of it would be a straight install, but I am by no means an expert. One other thing to consider is that I have a 90 bronco, I believe in 92 they changed from the vaccum controlled to an electric cruise control system. This may make the install more difficult. Check out this link for a couple of diagrams on the cruise system. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174064

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I wonder if the retrofit units they sell would work on these Broncos. I remember seeing them back in the days advertised at places like Sears Auto, Pep Boys and such. I may have even seen them in a JCWhitney catalog or 2

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Yes, JCW has em it should work as it runs off vac from the motor I retro fitted a 73 chrysler with one about 10 years ago, They may have changed the priciple design so call fvirst and ask if it is vac. operated or if they are electrical (have seen a few of them) or go take the whole assembly off and BKO F-series truck and swap it in.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
I installed an Audiovox cruise control in my '91 and it was pretty easy. Much easier than swapping in factory parts actually.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
id do a simple, fuel efficienct cruse system consisting of something that locks the gas pedal wherever its at.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, JCW has em it should work as it runs off vac from the motor I retro fitted a 73 chrysler with one about 10 years ago, They may have changed the priciple design so call first and ask if it is vac. operated or if they are electrical (have seen a few of them) or go take the whole assembly off and BKO F-series truck and swap it in.
I wonder if it goes through the PCM/ECM at all or if it's a stand alone control unit? If it uses the Electronics at all, I wonder if I'd have to replace the computer for the Bronco also? That wold throw a whole new kink in the idea.

id do a simple, fuel efficienct cruse system consisting of something that locks the gas pedal wherever its at.
Are we talkin string a pulley system?;)

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
I wonder if it goes through the PCM/ECM at all or if it's a stand alone control unit? If it uses the Electronics at all, I wonder if I'd have to replace the computer for the Bronco also? That wold throw a whole new kink in the idea.

Are we talkin string a pulley system?;)
no, my thought was like a small bicycle disk brake and caliper mounted to the gas pedal. if you wanna make it really clean put a solenoid to activate the brake , switch to turn it on, and tie into the brake switch to turn it off if you hit the brakes.

ill check my haynes manual and see if theres any wires going to the eec for cruise, ill check the eec pinout too.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. Thanks. Your ida does sound interesting but it also sounds like alot more fab work than I'd want to do at this juncture.

I went online to JCW and got one of their reps on a chat. They looked and said the stuff they sell now wouldn't work on my vehicle.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
OK. Thanks. Your ida does sound interesting but it also sounds like alot more fab work than I'd want to do at this juncture.

I went online to JCW and got one of their reps on a chat. They looked and said the stuff they sell now wouldn't work on my vehicle.

http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv,

based on what i see here there are no connections to the eec for cruize control. if the eec was involved then i there should definately be at least 3 or 4 wires going to it since the cruise servo has like 10 wires. the possibility of installing factory cruise is looking promising. id use an electronic one though, less sysems and better control. i can take a pic of mine. you are gonna have to replace the steering wheel cover and clock spring no matter what though.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No not really. I was hoping there would be something akin to a retrofit or aftermarket unit like they had back 20 years ago... Nowadays, I guess, everything is marketed to the newer OBDII, all electronic stuff. Unless I luck into something that works, I don't really see me getting one installed.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
No not really. I was hoping there would be something akin to a retrofit or aftermarket unit like they had back 20 years ago... Nowadays, I guess, everything is marketed to the newer OBDII, all electronic stuff. Unless I luck into something that works, I don't really see me getting one installed.
like i said the cruize appears to be a standalone unit, you could just grab one out of a cruize equipped bronco or f150 and add it in without having to change the computer.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Audiovox CCS-100 is what you'd need but you may have a hard time finding it.

Here's one- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDIOVOX-CCS-100-CRUISE-CONTROL-/260617285309?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cae002ebd

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice find. Thanks. I'm at work right now so I can't Ebay.... I'll look it up when I get home and I can at least be on the lookout for that unit.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was looking around and doing alot of Googling. It seems the Audiovox units are just rebranded Rostra units. The only difference between what you get iwth one over the other is the Audiovox looks to have the control unit included and the Rostra, you buy separately. Here's the link to their Automotive accessories:
http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm

They even have a guide that lists this as the current model for my 92 Bronco. Click on the "SEARCH" Oval in the bottom right hand corner:

After going through the search it brings me to model number:250-1223. It's an electronic unit that is tied into the VSS. Here's the info it gives on the unit:

Search Results
92 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY BRONCO,4.9L,5.0L,5.8L

CRUISE CONTROL
250-1223

Control Lever: 250-3421,250-3125,250-3742
VSS Wire: Location 13 Position 3 of EEC IV Module
VSS Wire Color: Gray/Black
VSS Pulse: 8000
VSS Tach Wire: Location 16 Coil
Tach Signal Wire Color: Tan/Yellow
Click Here to view wiring diagram.

The best part of the whole thing is they say they are still made in America and they were the primary developer of Cruise Control. I discovered when looking through the control units that they have the unit that is the factory CC on my 08 Ram.

So, I wonder if this unti will actually work on our Broncos and not rely on the Vacuum after all?

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
I was looking around and doing alot of Googling. It seems the Audiovox units are just rebranded Rostra units. The only difference between what you get iwth one over the other is the Audiovox looks to have the control unit included and the Rostra, you buy separately. Here's the link to their Automotive accessories:

They even have a guide that lists this as the current model for my 92 Bronco. Click on the "SEARCH" Oval in the bottom right hand corner:

After going through the search it brings me to model number:250-1223. It's an electronic unit that is tied into the VSS. Here's the info it gives on the unit:

Search Results
92 FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY BRONCO,4.9L,5.0L,5.8L

CRUISE CONTROL
250-1223

Control Lever: 250-3421,250-3125,250-3742
VSS Wire: Location 13 Position 3 of EEC IV Module
VSS Wire Color: Gray/Black
VSS Pulse: 8000
VSS Tach Wire: Location 16 Coil
Tach Signal Wire Color: Tan/Yellow
Click Here to view wiring diagram.

The best part of the whole thing is they say they are still made in America and they were the primary developer of Cruise Control. I discovered when looking through the control units that they have the unit that is the factory CC on my 08 Ram.

So, I wonder if this unti will actually work on our Broncos and not rely on the Vacuum after all?
so its like the factory cruize

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
The one I posted came with the switch module, didn't have to buy a separate stalk. I mounted mine on a flat spot on the lower right instrument cluster bezel.

Holy cow, just saw how much the CCS-100 auction ended at! I remember I bought it new from Checker Auto about eight years ago for $100.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts