Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I need some experienced advice. How hard is it to pull and re-install an AOD? I've never done anything with a tranny before in my life. The most I ever did was rebuild a top end on an old 302. That was kinda easy, just really make sure surfaces were clean, gaskets done right, and everything torque and adjusted to specs. Is this a one man job? Can I do this without a lift? I've read manauls on the procedure but reading and doing are 2 different things.
Thanks,
J

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hello there...I used to hail from York, PA myself. Swapping trannys is not a big deal at all. Put the truck up on jack stands, get a tranny jack and it's always best to have at least one other person around to help you. I did this with my E4OD last year with me and another guy it went pretty smoothly. I'd say you're not giving yourself enough credit if you rebuilt the top end of a 302 at least you have some experience. Swapping a tranny is just unbolting and rebolting things back up. Good luck...:thumbup

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just finished pulling and replacing my e4od and it was pretty easy. If you can do the top end of and engine this should be no problem. Took about 3 hours to remove tranny/transfercase. Just take you time and get a tranny jack it is very worth it. I rented one for a day for $30.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
The only thing that I think is difficult is lining up the torque converter when re-installing. Once you have one nut started on the stud, the rest is cake!

·
Registered
748 Posts
gators0204 said:
yea, the bastard left before we could go wheelin together:goodfinge
If I recall...just about a year ago at this time we had planned a trip together...Dave, Will, and Me. Also if I recall correctly someone had some trouble getting their ass out of bed *cough* DAVE *cough* and you never made it.....so you had your chance man, I'm sorry.

:goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts