Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '90 is an automatic. My friend's father has a 1985 F250 351 4x4 with a 5 speed, that he is talking about selling for $500. I assume that the F250 tranny is going to be a bit stronger than my automatic.

Can I bolt the tranny into my '90? I know it' won't be easy, but I think it will be worth it. I may decide to wait until my tranny dies though. I love to drive my Mustang with the 5 speed, but I'm not sure how it will be in the Bronco. The TTB is hard enough to keep in a streight line, so will the 5 speed over complicate things? Also, is it hard to OR with a manual tranny? It seems like it would burn up a clutch really fast.

Also, if my engine ever goes, is it hard to convert the carbed 351 into EFI?

All in all, the truck is in good shape, but it's missing a lot of emissions equipment, so it would be hard to get it to pass MD inspection.

Thanks.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,702 Posts
the tranny should work but you need to make sure that it was bolted up to either a 300-6 , 302 or 351w. you would need the tranny crossmember and the linkage as well. I wouldnt bother making the truck efi. just to much of a hassle really unless you have that kinda time on your hands.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The truck has a 351W, so I guess that will work. My main concern is that my automatic is computer controlled. I don't want the computer to freak out when it can't talk to the tranny any more.

The EFI question was if my Bronco 351 ever dies, I could replace it with the carbed 351 from the '85. The problem is, I still need to pass state emissions inspections every 2 years, so I would want to put the carbed 351 into my EFI bronco, and convert the engine to EFI.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,702 Posts
that motor swap would be strait forward. everything would bolt onto the carbed motor from the efi one. as for the ecu going crazy just get a ecu from a rig that didnt have the auto tranny but ran a 351. talk to fireguy he might be able to hook you up.

late

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you have an AOD you may be able to get away without swapping the computer, since the AOD realy doesnt have a lot (my truck has no wires that go to the computer at all cept for the neutral safty and rev. plug) of "talking" to do to the computer unlike the E4OD. I know on the mustangs the AOD has a diff. computer and that it has a diff. config. I cant remember 100% but I think it has a fatter fuel curve and timing tables to work with the verter and such.

I would rec. getting a diff. computer but if funds are tight you could probably get by for a little while until funds and a computer become available.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Have you looked to see what trans is in this F250?

IIRC, the M5OD and ZF didn't come along until 88. It would be interesting to know what it is...

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
TCRIMSONK said:
Thanks. The truck has a 351W, so I guess that will work. My main concern is that my automatic is computer controlled. I don't want the computer to freak out when it can't talk to the tranny any more.

The EFI question was if my Bronco 351 ever dies, I could replace it with the carbed 351 from the '85. The problem is, I still need to pass state emissions inspections every 2 years, so I would want to put the carbed 351 into my EFI bronco, and convert the engine to EFI.
You might be able to pass by swapping all the 85 smog equipment over also. My 86 is carbed with all the proper smog equipment and I have never had trouble passing emissions.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
TCRIMSONK said:
This isn't a swap that I need to do any time soon. I just need to decide if I should buy the truck now for $500. I have the automatic with the OD button on the dash. Isn't that the E4OD?

Why not buy it and run it? Is it in really bad shape? You could wheel the body into the ground and then still have the engine and tranny to put in your's later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts