Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if there is a shelf life for an uninstalled, completely built engine. What I mean is does cam lube dry out or anything like that once an engine is assembled and sitting on a stand?

Lets say you rebuilt your engine but before you mount it in the engine bay you wanted to do a SAS, how long would you feel safe letting that engine sit on the stand?

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
My dad has a 350 small block Chevy sitting in the basement that he's eventually gonna put in moms El Camino. It's been down there so long, I don't even remember when he put the darn thing together. [Shortly after he put it together he got race car on the brain.]

I would think he would know it would be ok or he wouldn't have built it if it couldn't sit. :shrug

·
Registered
119 Posts
Make sure the engine is covered so no dust gets to it. Add a little oil to the cylinders and when install time comes prime the engine with a drill thru the dist hole and everything should be A ok. Or to answer your question directly, properly stored it'll be fine for many moons

·
Registered
604 Posts
Kept a few high dollar engines in my crappy garage that pretty much covers it from rain an snow an thats it. Be sure to spray some light lube in the cylinders an on the bottom end an cam stuff etc. If your garage is as crappy as mine an lets humidity, moisture, cold an stuff in then bag it up good an then bag it again. It'll be fine for a looooooong time.

when its time to use it, rule of thumb for all engines is to prime it so dont forget or your engine will be toast within minutes if that.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Along with that stuff you need to turn it over by hand to keep the internals moving just to keep stuff from seizing up.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
:stupid I agree with everyone above..

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
It is counter clock wise. Do you not have an extra distibutor to put in there? That away when you turn it over by hand the cam will turn the dist which will turn the oil pump. Also to keep the critters out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts