Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was curious who all does any backpacking? Some of the places I got hiking, almost require a 4x4 to get to the trail head. Heck, a lot of times, the camping is FREE find your own site. Just remember to follow the "leave it like you found it" philosophy.

I hike a lot up in north Georgia, Cohutta Wilderness area. It's all federal land, and is free to hike and camp.

Tom

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
ive been an avid backpacker in the last few years. have been everywhere from philmont scout ranch in new mexico, to guadalupe peak in texas, to mt antero in colorado. total i have about 200 miles backpacking total, and look forward to more in the future, but four wheeling is probably goin to take over as my biggest past time in the near future.

wes

·
Registered
267 Posts
With ya there Wes, been to the Philmont scout ranch too, awesome place. I think last tally I did I was up to about 750 some odd miles, mostly through seven years of being a Boy Scout :p

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
ya, i got mine mostly through scouts. philmont was probably my last big trek for a while, i got sorta burned out on it and have really grown a love for wheeling. i know i wont be in as good of shape as i was backpacking, but thats one of the tradeoffs il take for the fun of wheeling. sometime i need to tally up a list of all the places ive been and hiked.

so now i ask who has done things like long canoe trips? base camp style hiking? any other outdoor sports?

wes

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I used to hike/pack for miles all through my life. Much more when I lived in Colorado and was mountaineering ... sometimes had to walk or snow shoe 6-8 miles just to the base of the mountain we were gonna do ... then climb the damn thing and hike out.... most times we would sleep at the base and climb it in the morning and pack out.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Tomh971 said:
I hike a lot up in north Georgia, Cohutta Wilderness area. It's all federal land, and is free to hike and camp.

Tom
Boy is that place huge or what? I did some hunting in there...no vehicles allowed. Ya got to hoof it there, and I'd get so far back I wouldn't want to kill anything cause it be too much of a pain to get it out. It's freakin unbelievable how bueatifull it is back where it may have been hundreds of years since another human walked there...:beer

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ain't that the truth... I've done a bit of hiking in the Allegheny National Forest also... when I lived in western PA that is. Haven't been home in a while... I love getting away from technology now and then... it takes the stress off sometimes....

·
user title
2,211 Posts
MEEEE!!!

I'm a backpacker...I've been to Philmont a few times and packed out there as well as portions of the AT. I intend to do the entire AT one of these days. I do a lot of local backpacking, the country around here is too pretty and easily accessible to pass it by.

Out of curiosity how many other Eagle Scouts do we have here? I am suprised of the number of us that have been to Philmont. BTW, any of you guys been down to the Keys and BSA Sea Base?

:beer
Bill

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
never been to the sea base, but i am an eagle as of june 2003. its a great achievement, im proud of it

wes

·
Registered
268 Posts
I consider myself more of a mountain climber than a backpacker but the 2 go hand in hand. Haven't been on summit for over a year thanks to uncle sam. I may get to do some backpacking (or rucking as we call it) in Afganistan. I know the Capital city of Kabul is around 5900 ft. And just the thought of bagging a Himilayan peak has me drooling. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be free to roam the countryside at will, plus I'm not bringing ice axes and crampons, but then again maybe I should. When I'm not active in the National Guard I'm always looking for more climbing partners. Originally bought the Hulk to get up to some more difficult trail heads but the Hulk just grew into a monster. It's a trailer queen now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts