Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 bronco with a 6 inch Superlift with stock rear leaf springs with blocks and add a leaf. I want just leaf springs in the rear for a better ride but I don't know how many inches of lift I need. 4 inches or 6 inches?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Don't know if this will help or not

But I have the skyjacker 6" leaf pack springs in the rear of our bronco and it sits tail high even with us having the 8" coil springs in the front..

·
Registered
273 Posts
Generally speaking, the rear is lifted 2" less than the front so it rides even. In stock form, the rear is approximately 2" higher than the front to accomodate a load (i.e. trailer) and still ride level.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Makes sense...

But even then the front is lifted 8" and it's still nose low. (maybe the coil springs have sagged out)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Spectre said:
Don't know if this will help or not

But I have the skyjacker 6" leaf pack springs in the rear of our bronco and it sits tail high even with us having the 8" coil springs in the front..
I have the same 6" skyjacker kit with the leaf packs in the back and it sits nose high. It seems like a lift is like a box of chocolates........

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
no kiddin.. I don't think Skyjacker makes an 8" lift spring and I know I don't have blocks so I assume it's the 6" spring..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Spectre said:
no kiddin.. I don't think Skyjacker makes an 8" lift spring and I know I don't have blocks so I assume it's the 6" spring..
Right. I have the full six inch kit with the 6" springs in front. They say the lift brings the nose up around 6" and the tail up around 4.5". It rang pretty true for me. I think my tail will even settle more after I go wheeling a bit. First day out I blew a shock to pieces. I am not fond of the skyjacker brand shocks, not sure what I will go with next time.....

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
slaga said:
Generally speaking, the rear is lifted 2" less than the front so it rides even. In stock form, the rear is approximately 2" higher than the front to accomodate a load (i.e. trailer) and still ride level.
:stupid

I have 6" Superlift springs in front, and 6" Skyjacker leafs in the rear, and its stance is nose down. Generally, if you want an even ride, go with the 4" leafs in back (which is what you would get if you bought a six inch lift kit with leafs).

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is what the 6" skyjacker springs in the front and the skyjacker spring packs in the back looks like.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought the superlift 6inch lift with the leafsprings in the rear and mine sagged so i just bought some 2inch blocks for now. And it sits perfectly level now. Just my .02:thumbup

·
Registered
489 Posts
im int he same situation. i have a used 6" skyjacker ttb setup and it came with a 4.5 angled block. im not not into blocks. but i was tring to figure out with spring to get the 4 or 6. same damn situation. im tring not to make the front nose dive as it does know. i think im going to have to call skyjacker.
from what i can see on the websites.

FR56 is good for 5-8" of lift
FR54 is good for 3-6" of lift

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
equivalent said:
im int he same situation. i have a used 6" skyjacker ttb setup and it came with a 4.5 angled block. im not not into blocks. but i was tring to figure out with spring to get the 4 or 6. same damn situation. im tring not to make the front nose dive as it does know. i think im going to have to call skyjacker.
As stated, if you were to buy a 6 inch lift kit from skyjacker, it would come with 6" lift coils, and 4" lift leaf springs.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
i agree with the posts on a 6" front and 4/4.5" rear leaves. My 84 had the same stance as JustinC, and I added a 1" block under the 4.5" leaf packs to level the ride and add more tire cleance in back. Each brand of lift kit or springs will give you a different actual, installed height from 5-7", so you can't really say in general always use a 2" block or use a 6" pack. Get a 4"-5" pack for the rear and adjust as you need it with a small block to correct driveshaft angle and ride hieght. I've seen some rigs with the SkyJ packs that removed the overload spring to soften the ride or increase flex. IF you do that, might need up to a 2" block, or go with the 6" springs to start with and remove the bottom one. I think the Superlift springs have more flex or are less stiff than the SkyJ's. Just my two cents when comparing my rig next to one with a Superlift kit. BTW, I haven't broken any of the SkyJ shocks, but I did trash a bushing and upper shock mount in the rear.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do you have to lenghten the drive shafts with a 8in suspension lift? i have a 6 and my leafs are shot so i was gonna get 8in leafs and 8in coils

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
tonythetiger57 said:
Do you have to lenghten the drive shafts with a 8in suspension lift? i have a 6 and my leafs are shot so i was gonna get 8in leafs and 8in coils
You'll be pretty close...

·
Registered
156 Posts
HmMm... I dont like breaking stuff. But who does?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts