Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating on rather or not to hold out for 1 tons, but have decided to go SAS Dana 44 from a 78 F-150 and probably a 9 inch out back. However, I am upgrading the front Dana 44 with heavy duty axle shafts, most likely 5.13 gears and have 37" bald TSL's right now and will be buying new tires some time soon, probably same size, 36"-37". Just to get some opinions, how much abuse will this set up take? I have a 5.8 and somewhat of a heavy foot, but know when to not be stupid. I like the rocks more than anything and just your regular trail, maybe some mud. I know the 9" is fairly stout in stock form and can become bulletproof with enough money, but am concerned about the front Dana 44. Any opinions appreciated, thanks!

-Jon

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Personally, I'd save for the 1 tons. For the money you'll put into the 44 to make it beefy enough, you may as well have bought a 60. And while the 9 inch is pretty strong, its still 1/2 ton strong. And again, you'll spend 3 times as much building up a 9, as you would reverting to a 60 or a 14 bolt out back.

Somewhat heavy foot, 37" tires, half ton axles, and rocks = breakage. (I recently grenaded my 9 inch rear with 36's).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
JH333 said:
I've been contemplating on rather or not to hold out for 1 tons, but have decided to go SAS Dana 44 from a 78 F-150 and probably a 9 inch out back. However, I am upgrading the front Dana 44 with heavy duty axle shafts, most likely 5.13 gears and have 37" bald TSL's right now and will be buying new tires some time soon, probably same size, 36"-37". Just to get some opinions, how much abuse will this set up take? I have a 5.8 and somewhat of a heavy foot, but know when to not be stupid. I like the rocks more than anything and just your regular trail, maybe some mud. I know the 9" is fairly stout in stock form and can become bulletproof with enough money, but am concerned about the front Dana 44. Any opinions appreciated, thanks!

-Jon
Generally I'd say you'll be ok. This setup will take your tire combo. How much abuse? who knows, a fair amount of use for sure, but abuse it and you'll break it. I've seen several 78-79 trucks with big blocks and 38's and upgraded shafts in 44 fronts and I tell ya, the 44 is OK in my book. I'm a pretty careful driver and chose a D44 front for 37's (D60 rear though to replace the 8.8). If you ever have plans for bigger tires though, you're better off just looking at a 60 front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. The only reason being, I'm getting the front differential for free and it's just missing the axles, everything else is there. So I figure just upgrade it, and as of now I'm not planning on going any bigger than 36" to 37" tires. Right now I do have the 8.8 out back, but also have access to a 9 inch and will most likely go that route. Thanks and keep the opinions coming! :thumbup

-Jon

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
What year is your truck? A 9 inch may not be easily compatible depending on what you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1988, 5.8, C6 with the BW1356 T-case. It is off road only though ever since my trip to Disney, OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts