Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 94 bronco that needs a new rear end in and an oil pan and ball joints both side upper and lower and need wheel bearings and hubs also a whole brake job drums pads rotors and new battery. how much am i lookin at for a price from a mec. just a ball park. would like to know how much for the parts and than how much for labor. thanks. just a ball park thanks

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,874 Posts
well you have a few choices for the rear end. you can buy a used rear diff from a wrecking yard cheaper then probably getting yours rebuilt but your still looking at 200+ for that. brakes could run anywhere from 300-500 depending on the shop and the trouble they encounter. having the front end gone thru could be 200+ as well. Get Warn Premium hubs which are about $90 if i recall.

why not get a haynes manual , some tools and do the work yourself.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
to take it to a mechanic is going to be outrageous. If I had to guess It would cost you probably over $4000 which around here is more than the truck is worth. But it is totally up to you. If I were to do it all for you at $30 it would take me roughly 13-14 hours. Plus parts. the local parts store the ball joints are $25 ea uppers $35ea lowers. Oil pan gasket is $40 because you want the rubber 1 peice trust me, brakes are close to $100 more in new drums are needed. Huds range any where from $70-$100 wheel bearings are like 5-10 bucks each. but they probably just need packed, and a battery is 50-70. plus an oil filter, and oil which costs me roughly 25 everytime I change my oil. And probably $30 more in misc other charges. like grease, brake fluid brake clean ect. oh and I forgot about the rear end. Depending on what is wrong with it, anyware from 100-500 more. And that is my price to work on stuff. Most shops in town charge double that, plus mark up of 10% or more on all the parts. So you can see it adds up real quick.

I mean it is up to you. I need alot of this same stuff on my bronco like bj's oil pan gasket, ect. That is why I do it a little at a time.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Whats your engine size? I know mechanics hate doing oil pans, everyone hates doing them on any ford truck. The cross memeber is right friggin in the way.

The most labor intinsive part will be the oil pan itself probably $400-600. If not more, i was quoted $750 and said:goodfinge and did it myself.

I suggest buying all your parts yourself, then taking them to a mechanic. 1 it will cost about 30% less then if he buys them. 2 you will know excatly what is going on your truck, no cheap chinese chit. 3 it might get done a little quicker, then the mechanic having to go get the stuff himself. (which will cost you another hour for him to go to the parts store)

I'm not sure on excact prices of parts and labor (you can do that by looking online and calling shops) But just call around, you should be able to find a good deal.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
x2 on purchasing your own parts. Shops always go the cheapest route. So you can get all top of the line parts and they may cost you less than the shop will charge you for the cheap china crap. Also. The oil pan is a pain in the a$$. I hate doing them as well. I did mine in my 89 mustang and it took me 3 hours with the tranny out of it. i vowed never again. That is why I am waiting until I do a motor swap in my truck to fix mine. I would rather smell oil than fight with it at this point.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only reason i am taken it to a mech is because i have no money and for payment i am givvin him my 99.5 jetta which i hate driven. i know i could sell it but than i have no car while i try to fix it. the jetta means nothing to me but the bronco is like my little girl. i love it. so payment would be my jetta. which it seems like its gona cost as much as the jetta is worth. plus he said he is gona get all the stuff from the ford dealership.

·
Registered
296 Posts
do it yourself.

axle. cheap. 100-150, brakes, 95 all the way. oil pan, 40 , hubs 50, ball joints, 150 for all. bearings 125 for both sides and rotors. and a battery 35$

only if you do it all yourself. tools might set you back another 200, but you can rent some from auto zone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If customers at the shop I work at bring their own parts, the labor rate climbs a little. If we're not making money on parts, it has to be made somewhere. And its the other way around (atleast here) some penny pinching customers think they can get cheaper parts elsewhere and do. Like one customer who refused to pay for a new WP, went to AZ and bought a reman, which leaked like a mofo. Not our problem, he bought the junk parts. And mechanics dont have to pick up their own parts, atleast not in this state, we just pick up the phone and they arrive 20min later from Napa.

-Tyler

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yeah, any shop i've ever worked in bringing your own parts in is a bad idea. labor rate climbs and if something goes wrong shops won't warrant the part or labor.

when you go in just tell the guy the quality of parts you want and that you expect to see all of the packaging sitting in your back seat when you pick the bronco up.

Justin

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
if you were closer i would do it for the price of the tools i needed, and all the dr pepper i could drink during the process hahaha. and then you would learn something.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
it would probably cost about as much as a vw jetta :toothless

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i did it here is the list of stuff im gettin done
brakes all four wheels
driveshaft
rear end carrier assembly bearings and seals and gears
heat treat axles
manuel locking spindle assembly
front end ball joints, tie rod ends, center link,idler arm, pitman arm,control arm bushings,and wheel bearings and seals
service transmission and front diff all new fluids
battery
oil pan

so what do you think about the deal now. i feel great about it. all brand new parts and it is guarnted that it will be in driving condition when done. so am i gettin a good deal?

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
i would do it myself! but i mean it sounds like a great deal i mean if i had a crappy VW jetta i wish i could trade it for work on the bronco!! i would do it screw the VW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts