Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, as the second gen broncos rapidly appreciate in value, I'm seeing the last cheap examples disappear. How much is too much for a solid but non-running example? Assuming it has less than 8 hrs of rust repair needed, and the running gear and interior is intact.

Why? I need another commuter but found a 78 instead. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and state that I'd pay 4500 non running without frame damage or rust holes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pics? I paid 2400 for mine which was overpaying a bit. Needed new floorpans, thermostat, gas tank/sending unit, all new brakes and weatherstrip seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,838 Posts
I think it comes down to location. The owner of this one told me I could have it for $2500. 78 w/400 and C6. That was at least a year ago though. I have no room for another vehicle nor the money to spend on it otherwise I'd try to negotiate and bring it home. lol So I guess for me $2500 would be my price, but I'm cheap.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
447 Posts
@Doosenberry
if it had sliding windows I would buy it and we need to find a place to store it.
2500 is ok, until its running and not into severe rust.
How good's the interior of it?

@ Thread overall
I paid 8000 for a rust free car, but as it was not well setup and had a lot of technical bad jokes, I overpaid at least 3000 from my view today.
Well, buying a car from US into Germany will always bring some surprise, but I think the values are up, at least on internet pricing.
If you can buy local from and old guy not looking into facebook, you can still do a steal.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Note: my numbers are all CAD... and based on lack of Broncos in my area
I consider mine to have been a deal at $3400 about 10 years ago, no rust and running, but with some minor issues. But its my daily driver now and I love it.
I picked up a second one for parts some years ago at $1200, which was barely worth it for the axles, bolt-ons, and a good uncut roof skin. It had no engine, a nasty interior, and a rotten body.
On another one, I picked a couple grand worth of parts for only $300 before the owner had it crushed. It wasn't perfect, but would have been a better candidate for rescue than my second Bronco, but I had nowhere to store another vehicle. The guy probably would have let it go for without the engine and grille for $500-$800.

I seriously considered a single-owner 4th gen EB edition about a year ago that needed only a tailgate and some minor fender work for about $6000. But ultimately dumped more $$ into my 2nd gen.

2nd gen frames are pretty sturdy, as long as they haven't been hacked and welded by a PO. As long as the floor, door jambs, and tailgate jamb are solid and rust-free, $5000 would be worthwhile IMO, regardless of the engine condition. If the rear quarters are good too, then $6000. Consider what it costs to get replacement body panels shipped by freight, and the labor if you don't do bodywork yourself.

Regardless of how people react to the new Bronco, people will be thinking about the old ones, and I expect value (or at least asking prices) will go up. If you find one with a solid frame and tub, it may be worth investing in it within the next week until the launch.

·
Super Moderator
24,974 Posts
Yo,
As a buyer, I follow Raymond Rawling's (father of TV star Richard Rawlings of TV show Fast N' Loud) purchase strategy. "When Richard was growing up in Fort Worth, Texas, his dad, Raymond Rawlings always had a car or a motorcycle lying around. “It wasn’t the nicest or the best, but it was his,” the younger Rawlings says. Ray wasn’t much of a mechanic, more of a detailer and a tinkerer. On weekends, the guys in the neighborhood would come over, mess around with whatever car Ray had at the time and drink beer in the garage.

One of those guys who came around also taught Rawlings a lesson about negotiating that he still carries with him: “I was around 13. He said, ‘Son, you could buy a $10,000 car all day long for five grand if you have it in your pocket. Always carry cash.”

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,039 Posts
Not sure how relevant it is anymore but my lil' lady paid $4200 for this '78 back in '14.

Freshly rebuilt engine with no pretty and done my the manager of a WalMart Car Dept. There's a few dings and creases in the metal but no rust beyond surface. Rear leaf shackle was broke but hadn't damaged the body much, a few missing or broken bolts here and there on the drive-train. PO had Rhino-lined the interior with a crap prep job, so that will all have to be removed and re-done. Original seats had been replaced by seats from a similar year Ford Van but the interior was certainly salvageable and included the OEM rollbar and obviously... sliding topper windows. I was able to test drive it a few blocks and take it out of a dirt road to verify 4x was in good, working order... so it was a solid, running rig with average, old rig issues. Purchased before the new Bronco was anything more than a rumor, so the price paid was based on a decent condition, old classic.

We're pretty lucky up here in the PNW. Bronco's are still around but getting harder and prices are rising accordingly, even though we tend to trend behind the rest of the states. I've fixed most of the basic issues but still have a few to deal with. Most of the work needed at this point is the interior and body work, then paint.

By the time I get around to working on it and getting it all ready for paint (which I expect to run around $5-6k), I'll put it up on the market for...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I paid right at $400 for this non running, but all there bronco. The only rust issues are the rear quarters and lower tailgate. It does need a motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts