Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv called cage number of times with no answer and emailed for the last 2 weeks so i hope nothing is goin on because i really want those extended radius arms.. that being said im woundering how large of a lift u can go with those arms
im planing on getting the superlift 9 inch coils dropping my top coil towers down 2 inchs for a net left of 11. Could the cage arms be used or would i need a drop down bracket?

also going to be used w a dana 60 thanks for the help :rockon

·
BeastfaB
1,114 Posts
Iv called cage number of times with no answer and emailed for the last 2 weeks so i hope nothing is goin on because i really want those extended radius arms.. that being said im woundering how large of a lift u can go with those arms
im planing on getting the superlift 9 inch coils dropping my top coil towers down 2 inchs for a net left of 11. Could the cage arms be used or would i need a drop down bracket?

They will work for that amount of lift. I have since reworked all of my suspension but my initial build was just about what you described as your goal.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

That formula may get you more than 11". Im running 6" lift springs with 79 buckets in the "stock" location and it netted 8". You may end up with more like 12 or 13.

My concern at that much lift is your going to have problems getting your caster and pinion angle to both be reasonable.

But this is all just speculation, it may work fine.

·
BeastfaB
1,114 Posts
Here pics of a truck with 9" coils and the buckets lowered 4" (plus 3" body) runnin the cage arms.

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/mygallery.asp?id=14080&album=32524

You should be fine.
If you look closely at those pics, the truck has no front driveshaft.

Broncoboy23 brought up a good point about the problems getting your caster and pinion angle to both be reasonable. The cage arms will work for sure but you may have to cut and turn the c's on your 60 to get your desired pinion and caster angles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the great feedback.. NO im not tired of getting "beat up on pirate" what I am tired of is stupid answers from guys that would rather sit online and crap on people then give you honest answers. You come to a site looking for answers to honest questions and u get people crapping on you saying lifted mud trucks are gay well sorry thats what im into and thats what i will build.

so even with a high pinon dana 60 the driveshaft angles might be bad anyway to fix that custom driveshafts? or rotating the whole housing?

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
are you using weld on c bushings? that may dictate to some degree where your caster and stuff comes out. No one can tell you off hand where you will end up, becuase very few people put that big of a lift on their rigs. Set you pinion properly, and then see where you are. You may have to cut and turn, you may not. another consideration is what tranny and tcase set up you are going with, and how long your front shaft is. This affects your angles, and also cross memeber clearance. another option is dropping the rear radius arm mounts. there is a lot of factors.

See this is the problem: people like you want these ridiculous rigs, but dont understand whats involved with having them, or required to get them. I mean, if you are using a 60, you do understand there is complete and total fab involved right? some people just shouldnt have built rigs, whether rock crawler or mall crawler.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you look closely at those pics, the truck has no front driveshaft.

Broncoboy23 brought up a good point about the problems getting your caster and pinion angle to both be reasonable. The cage arms will work for sure but you may have to cut and turn the c's on your 60 to get your desired pinion and caster angles.
The second pic at the top of the first page has one... :shrug

The majority of those pics don't because most of them were taken right when the truck was finished and it hadn't been put in yet. I can't remember if he had to modify it at all, I'll have to ask him sometime.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
less knowlagable

:bangheadI guess i missed it when having 9inch lift is "rediculous" that isnt that bad now if i had 20-30 inchs of leaf spring yeah call that rediculous but to each his own like i said before your right i dont know that much about putting a 60 into my rig hense why i came online for advice just because im not sure about a sas swapt certinly dosnt mean i dont know what im doing with a wrench. So im not sure where u get off saying i dont deserve to build this. I came here to ask questions before i started buying parts and relizing I have the wroung setup. Isnt that what forums is all about people that done things share information to those who are less knowlagable.

Ill stop asking questions then ill juts do it and not share my build.:banghead

·
BeastfaB
1,114 Posts
:bangheadI guess i missed it when having 9inch lift is "rediculous" that isnt that bad now if i had 20-30 inchs of leaf spring yeah call that rediculous but to each his own like i said before your right i dont know that much about putting a 60 into my rig hense why i came online for advice just because im not sure about a sas swapt certinly dosnt mean i dont know what im doing with a wrench. So im not sure where u get off saying i dont deserve to build this. I came here to ask questions before i started buying parts and relizing I have the wroung setup. Isnt that what forums is all about people that done things share information to those who are less knowlagable.

Ill stop asking questions then ill juts do it and not share my build.:banghead

I guess an admin should edit your username to ButtHurtN8.

You need to relax a bit and read. This is a great site with a ton of info. It's all here for you but don't expect it to be spoonfed.

Happy reading and good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I love my ridiculous 9" lift:

And no it doesn't have a front drive shaft because it's 2wd :histerica (for now)

Here's a 94 F-150 with 9" coils and 2" dropped buckets runnin 38x15.50's.

But yah man, your gonna take some fire but it's all good. This site helped me out a ton... I doubt I would have been able to do it without doin my homework on this site.

I agree with triplesix, just kick back in your chair and start readin as many SAS build threads as possible. It'll all start to make sense eventually :beer .

Oh, and to avoid taking shots, make sure you search around and try your best to find the answers to your questions before you ask them. I noticed that once I actually got working on my SAS and into the build, I could ask alot more Q's and I got answers back instead of "SEARCH!!!" :rofl: .

Your build will be pretty similar to mine, other than you want to use a D60 and drop your buckets... :chili:

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
interesting, I could have sworn you said 11". And, yes, I do think that is ridiculous. well, at least not very user freindly or practival for anything but a mud or street queen.

im planing on getting the superlift 9 inch coils dropping my top coil towers down 2 inchs for a net left of 11.

need less to say. the arms will work, but may need to be made to work. they have caster built in to the tune of 4.25 degrees, but thats a LOT of lift, so it may need 7 degree bushings, it may need more. If its weld on, then it changes things, You may have to drop the frame mounts. There is a lot of variable here, quit being a wipe ass and deal with the issue. i didnt realize a seasoned "wrench" like you had such thin skin. All the mechanics i know are tough, wife beating, alcoholics. You must be the "other" guy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
when you do this type of conversion from a ttb the sas will give you 2 extra inches over the ttb because of the way the springs mounts. so if you run 9 inch springs you will actually get 11 inches of lift no need to remount the buckets. if you remount them you'll get 13 inches of lift, and 11 is not radical, its not radical or "TOO MUCH" until you need a ladder to get in. you may have problems with drive line angles but there is somebody that knows how to make it work. i did 14 inches of suspension on my 93 and just yesterday took it to a guy in Columbus to get the drive lines built the ends i needed cost 450x2 but they are guaranteed for life.

·
Registered
392 Posts
when you do this type of conversion from a ttb the sas will give you 2 extra inches over the ttb because of the way the springs mounts. so if you run 9 inch springs you will actually get 11 inches of lift no need to remount the buckets. if you remount them you'll get 13 inches of lift, and 11 is not radical, its not radical or "TOO MUCH" until you need a ladder to get in. you may have problems with drive line angles but there is somebody that knows how to make it work. i did 14 inches of suspension on my 93 and just yesterday took it to a guy in Columbus to get the drive lines built the ends i needed cost 450x2 but they are guaranteed for life.
Well I'd advise not taking that extra 2" by re-suing the TTB coil buckets and get ya some '79 coil buckets. That way you can use some 80-96 F350 shock mounts, and also move the coil buckets forward to get your axle centered. Now if you want to add however many inches, go ahead and drop the '79 buckets down.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Well I'd advise not taking that extra 2" by re-suing the TTB coil buckets and get ya some '79 coil buckets. That way you can use some 80-96 F350 shock mounts, and also move the coil buckets forward to get your axle centered. Now if you want to add however many inches, go ahead and drop the '79 buckets down.
Im pretty sure he was talking about using 79 buckets... But he didnt specify so Im not sure. I agree that 79 buckets are far more desirable.

In regards to lift over the labeled spring amount. When using 78/79 springs and buckets on a late model frame most people net about 1" more than the advertised amount. Example 6" spring = 7" total lift. Again this is aproximate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
collecting parts now

im using this in a 79 ford f-150 so no ttb it has stright axle dana 44 under it now with a broken axle. Im tired of breaking it if replaced it 2x so i said hell with it goin dana 60s.

the price of dana 60s up here are rediculous a 79 (the gold mine) is goin for upwards of 1k so i finally found a 88 f-350 with a dana 60 front and sterling rear that im going to get. I kmnow the 79 has longer axle tube to mount the arms on but im not going to pay double the price if all i needto do is a little grinding i know it will be more of a pain then if i used the 79 but $ needs to go elsewhere!

The project can finally start to move oout of the dream stage. Iv been doing A lot of reading on pirate and here to see what others have done and what pitfalls to look out for.

The next step is to order up the cage arms superlift 9 inch coils and clean up the axles to mock this up.

So still collecting parts look for a build shortly

Oh yeah I left my wife beater and beers at the other trailer :goodfinge all in good fun i was tired of getting shit on by people all over so i took a little to heart but my skin has gotten thicker i have wide shoulders lay it on me

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
interesting, I could have sworn you said 11". And, yes, I do think that is ridiculous. well, at least not very user freindly or practival for anything but a mud or street queen..
x2. I've had my sphincter tight too many times while hard-core wheeling with my weenie 4" lift..just enough lift to clear the 38.5 TSLs with cut fenders. I could not -would not want to - begin to imagine what it would be like to try and wheel my '78 with even an inch more lift (although I have seen some pretty capable rigs with 5.5-6" lift)....but 7 more??.:shocked

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this will be a purpose built mud runner going though a large mud pit as there isnt much offroadable places where im from.. I plan on buyin some land shortly and making my own offroad park for me and friends but thats way down the road

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.