Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for the second time in a few months I am replacing the A/C compressor. When I installed the first, I replaced the drier, the expansion valve, and the lines as well. I converted the system to R134 at this time. What I did not do was add oil to the compressor, which probably goes a long way toward explaining the awful noise it made during operation.:doh0715:

Here's my question: how much (and what type) of oil should I add to the compressor? I can't find the specs anywhere in the literature that came with the reman unit. Also, I add the oil via the inlet port, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
A FS-10 R-134a Compressor requires 7 ounces of PAG-46 oil.
If your system has EVER had r-12 in it, you will need to replace the Dryer and possibly the condenser as well. The r-12 oil is not compatible with the PAG oil for R-134a. At the very least, I would completely flush the system, then dry it with nitrogen or air, then flush it a second time. Then replace the dryer when your ready to charge the system. install all components first, then QUICKLY replace the dryer. The dryer can be rendered USELESS if left open to air for only a few minutes.

Note, any time the compressor blows, you MUST replace the accumulator/Dryer and its also a good idea to replace the orifice.

Due to the small intricate cavities in the condenser, it is often recommended to replace it when swapping from R-12 to R-134a due to the possibility of trapped oil and compressor debris.

See my A/C post here
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200136

As well as a r-12 to R-134a Discussion here

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201045

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A FS-10 R-134a Compressor requires 7 ounces of PAG-46 oil.
Not positive that I have this compressor, but I will check. That gives me a place to start, at least.

If your system has EVER had r-12 in it, you will need to replace the Dryer and possibly the condenser as well. The r-12 oil is not compatible with the PAG oil for R-134a. At the very least, I would completely flush the system, then dry it with nitrogen or air, then flush it a second time. Then replace the dryer when your ready to charge the system. install all components first, then QUICKLY replace the dryer. The dryer can be rendered USELESS if left open to air for only a few minutes.
Yes, I replaced all components except the condenser, which got flushed and dried. Along with the new (reman) compressor, I am also replacing the drier.

Thanks for these, I will definitely check them out. I appreciate the advice!

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
"How much oil for A/C compressor?"

That's a real good question and just want to say
that the amount is important for best operation. :)

------------------------------

The York has got a fill-to-port like an axle's got, so
it's easy.

{edit}
{No, it ain't neither!}
{hope I didn't mess anybody up}

From Ziggy:
http://www.onboardair.com/york-manual/pdf/9.pdf

------------------------------

The amount of oil needed in a refrigeration system
is way more picky than anything else you'll prob'ly
ever mess with. If you get too much it can't burp it
out like a power steering system can or automatic
transmission either and it will diminish its efficiency.

Can't tell you the exact ounces until the system is
fully described, then I may not be able to anyway. :/

All I can tell you is "put in the right amount of the
right type, no more and no less". LOL :)

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil for a/c compressor update

Thought I'd give an update on the compressor oil situation for anyone else who might need/want to know:

The compressor is a reman unit from Four Seasons (www.4s.com), part number 57022. The lubrication instructions that came with the compressor were no help whatsoever in determining how much/what type/where to add the compressor oil. I was particularly concerned as the system has been converted from R12 to R134a. Just got off the phone with the Four Seasons technical support folks and here's what they said:

Type: PAG 46 (but Ester with ICE 32 is fine to use)
Amount: same as original spec (service manual says 10 oz.)
Where to add: there is a 1/2" plug located on one side of the compressor between the four mounting holes; remove the plug - all 10 oz. of oil goes here.

Hope this helps.

·
2,857 Posts
Thought I'd give an update on the compressor oil situation for anyone else who might need/want to know:

The compressor is a reman unit from Four Seasons (www.4s.com), part number 57022. The lubrication instructions that came with the compressor were no help whatsoever in determining how much/what type/where to add the compressor oil. I was particularly concerned as the system has been converted from R12 to R134a. Just got off the phone with the Four Seasons technical support folks and here's what they said:

Type: PAG 46 (but Ester with ICE 32 is fine to use)
Amount: same as original spec (service manual says 10 oz.)
Where to add: there is a 1/2" plug located on one side of the compressor between the four mounting holes; remove the plug - all 10 oz. of oil goes here.

Hope this helps.
Cool, thanks for all that, Bro. :)

Alvin in AZ

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
York A/C pump is not a "fill to the oil plug" unit. The amount of added to the pump depends on the size of the pump (Bronco's are 10.3 cubic inch) and how the pump is mounted (verticle, 45* or horizontal). Kilby Enterprises web site has the complete York manual you can down load and here is the link to the page on checking the oil: http://www.onboardair.com/york-manual/pdf/9.pdf

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
If you put a really good vacuum on the system before you charge it, and you have no leaks, then after charging, you notice it is not cooling very well, it could be that you put too much oil in the system. Just an FYI. All the resources I have seen from Ford for my R-134a unit specify 7 ounces ONLY. They also state that adding more oil, could cause the unit to not perform as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
2,857 Posts
York A/C pump is not a "fill to the oil plug" unit. The amount of added to the
pump depends on the size of the pump (Bronco's are 10.3 cubic inch) and
how the pump is mounted (verticle, 45* or horizontal). Kilby Enterprises web
site has the complete York manual you can down load and here is the link to
the page on checking the oil:
http://www.onboardair.com/york-manual/pdf/9.pdf
Oh heck you're right! :)
I don't know what I was thinking. :/
I knew better too. :/