Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many quarts of oil are you supposed to put in a 96 5.8 351? The owners manual tells you what type of oil to use, but not how much to put in.
I'm assumming 5 or 6 quarts but am not sure. I have put too much oil in a vehicle before and had to take it back out, felt kind of stupid. I was also wondering do you guys with a 351 actually use 5w30 like the owners manual says to, or do you use 10w30?

·
Registered
315 Posts
my 5.0 must be hungry then... i put in 6 qaurts of oil and 1 qt of duralube before the dipstick reads full !

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
knarf121 said:
my 5.0 must be hungry then... i put in 6 qaurts of oil and 1 qt of duralube before the dipstick reads full !
5W30 is for us boys north of the border in Canada, unless things get real cold where you are or you start to experience slow cold weather starting. Even we use 10W30 the rest of the year.

Never seen a 96 owners manual, but many OEM manuals have a temperature graph to help you decide what grade to run when.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
748 Posts
metalhead said:
How many quarts of oil are you supposed to put in a 96 5.8 351? The owners manual tells you what type of oil to use, but not how much to put in.
I'm assumming 5 or 6 quarts but am not sure. I have put too much oil in a vehicle before and had to take it back out, felt kind of stupid. I was also wondering do you guys with a 351 actually use 5w30 like the owners manual says to, or do you use 10w30?

It should have a capacities chart in the back of the manuel, that is unless someone took yours out. Usually 5.5 and 6 quarts is what you're gonna find is most common when filling it. You can use 10W30, the thinner weight oils are more for the newer engines like the 5.4L and such. The 351W is an old engine, it just got a whole bunch of doodads thrown on it before Ford discontinued the block for various reasons that aren't pertanant to this thread. Make sure to also use a quality filter, Fram and Pennzoil are the filters you want to stay away from. Mobil1 Oil filters are the second best filters on the market in all catagories right now, and they can be had at AutoZone or possibly a local independent parts store.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i run 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 in the winter. it has more to do with your climate than anything else.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
mine is full in 5.5 quarts. when every i get the oil changed i tell em 5.5 quarts then they put 6 in go WOW its to full and have to drain some out. and they charge me for the half quart.

·
Registered
519 Posts
if I can jack the thread here, Does anyone use that lucas stabalizer that has that little display with the hand crank wheels at napas and schucks? I know the general rule is no oil additives but it looks pretty good and they dont seem to be making any crazy promises.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
metalhead said:
It's 6 quarts with the filter. It will likely be a little over the full mark, no biggy.

I would recommend you run what the manuf. tells you to, 5W-30, don't need any sythetic BS, it's a truck motor. A quality filter, and regular oil changes with the same good quality oil from now on, and it will run like a top for you. I have my own opinions on why the manuf. states 5w-30 but won't get into that here. I'm sure if you want to run 10-30 that's probably ok too.

Also, out of curiousity, do you have the oil cooler? It will be two small hoses coming from a box like thing that the oil filter attaches to. The hoses run over to a special lower radiator hose.

·
Banned
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes I do have the oil cooler. Where the filter is I see 2 small hoses connecting into 1 big hose that connects to the bottom of the radiator.

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
DeepSeaSnake said:
if I can jack the thread here, Does anyone use that lucas stabalizer .

yeah i do and so far it has worked really well :thumbup

and now returning this thread to its origins i am running 10w40 in the 94 and 20w50 in the 87

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
My 302 takes a full 7 quarts to get to the full line. I took the dipstick to Ford and the part number checked out as being the right dipstick.

I've been running 10W-30 mobile 1 synthetic for the past 5 years. I replaced the motor with a factory new 1997 302 short block, broke it in on the dino oil (first 5K miles), then swapped to synthetic. It runs very well for the abuse it takes. This engine has about 65K on it now. I'm to the point now of doing an annual or maybe semi annual oil change, so the cost isn't really a factor.

Mitch

·
Registered
315 Posts
BroncoAZ said:
My 302 takes a full 7 quarts to get to the full line. I took the dipstick to Ford and the part number checked out as being the right dipstick.
yay, i know im not crazy now!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
7 quarts????!!!???? That's a lot of oil.. How is that possible? Mine takes 5 quarts every time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i dunno, but it doesnt burn off any of that

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
Mine doesn't burn any either. What's kind of interesting is that my original 1987 motor took 6.5 quarts to get to the line. The 1997 replacement used the same pan and everything, but holds more oil.

Mitch

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
I've actually been wanting to get one of those moroso oil reserve tanks that pump extra oil into the motor when the oil pressure drops. The one with the electric valve could be used as a sort of pre-oiler. My problem would be finding a place to mount it.

Mitch

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
BroncoAZ said:
I've actually been wanting to get one of those moroso oil reserve tanks that pump extra oil into the motor when the oil pressure drops. The one with the electric valve could be used as a sort of pre-oiler. My problem would be finding a place to mount it.

Mitch
They say they'll that'll be the end of engine wear as you know it and it can double your engine's life. They also claim that most engine wear on bearings occurs in the first few seconds before you build up oil pressure when cold. The accumulator is supposed to prevent this from happening.

I'll find a spot, just have other things to buy first. I want the 3 quart unit.

Sxilitre

1 - 20 of 40 Posts