Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93, I had 35x14.5x15 Mickey Baja Belted HP tires and the front always seemed squated, especially after going in reverse /""\. I just got some smaller tires(temp for gas purposes and because my other tires were spliting) now it seems it is still doing it. When I step on the gas the TTb seems to do the opposite \""/. Is this normal? If so, how much is too much? here are some pics to show what I'm talking about.

Also, when I'm driving around my right front tire always make a sound like I'm taking a turn really tight and fast, my alignment isn't off too bad, why is this happening?:banghead

·
Registered
199 Posts
Worn out ball joints? Check the front end for play.

·
Registered
777 Posts
AHH the TTB.

What do you mean alignment is not too far off? What does the tire wear look like?

What kind of lift do you have? Are there any broken pieces? How are your tie rods? how are your bushings?

If I had to SWAG, I's say look at your toe. There are a couple of threads and tech writeups on backyard alignments. Or better yet, get it aligned at a shop.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had it aligned a couple of times, what I found out is that I had to "toe' it in a couple of turns to compensate for the tires. If I did not do this, my tires would be all over the road. My lift is a 6" Skyjacker, and I know my tie rod bushings NEED to be replaced. But will replacing the bushings really eliminate this much?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
springs are soft, from what you wrote. It seems dependent on accl or decel, i guess what really matters is at normal driving are they straight up and down?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
springs are soft, from what you wrote. It seems dependent on accl or decel, i guess what really matters is at normal driving are they straight up and down?
Not quite sure, I've never had anyone drive my truck while I'm looking at the front end. I'll see if I can find someone I trust to drive it first:doh0715:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get used to it. The TTB didn't behave well when it was new, so after 15 years, with oversize tires, you're fighting uphill. It's not a Crown Vic - it'll never line up.

But it's a robust long-travel suspension, which is what you need for a 4WD truck, so just drive it. Think of your tires like gas & oil - they're just an operating expense. :shrug
Well - THAT SUCKS, but on the bright side - it's a REAL GOOD excuse for me to get a solid axle. :rockon

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Worn out ball joints? Check the front end for play.
Anyone in the Austin, TX area know how to replace ball joints and bushings? I really don't have the tools and/or knowledge, but I have PLENTY O BEER!!!! :beer

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Anyone in the Austin, TX area know how to replace ball joints and bushings? I really don't have the tools and/or knowledge, but I have PLENTY O BEER!!!! :beer
Ball joints ain't that bad to replace. There are a few write ups on how to do it here. I had no experience with ball joints and did mine with the help from the write up. Just took longer then I expected and I only needed the ball joint press and you can rent it out at Autozone and when you return it they refund your rental fee.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Another thing to mention that I've seen posted here was that the TTB will do that when you back up. You shouldn't back up and park it, always pull forward at least a little. Can't remember where I read that so I guess take it with a grain of salt or whatever but it makes sense.

·
Registered
600 Posts
check your ball joints bc its an easy test but its most likely something to do with your pinion angle. its throwing your caster angle off. take a picture of your pinion angle for us.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I found out is that I had to "toe' it in a couple of turns

A "couple of turns" ? WTF do you think it's going to do? 1/8th of a turn toe in will make it squat...your toe is probably 10 degrees or more off. :doh0715:

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have had it aligned a couple of times, what I found out is that I had to "toe' it in a couple of turns to compensate for the tires. If I did not do this, my tires would be all over the road. My lift is a 6" Skyjacker, and I know my tie rod bushings NEED to be replaced. But will replacing the bushings really eliminate this much?
A "couple of turns" ? WTF do you think it's going to do? 1/8th of a turn toe in will make it squat...your toe is probably 10 degrees or more off. :doh0715:
I totally missed the first one. :smilie_slap

A couple of turns? So your telling us you eyeballed it and spun the adjusters A COUPLE of turns and now you are wondering why your alignment is off? What kind of tires need that kind of compensation?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
im surprised i really never had that many problems with my ttb. (other then it bringing the suck).. I remember seeing the thread about not backing up with the ttb. That your always supposed to pull forward a tid bit to straighten it out.... yea usually homemade alignments are only so you can drive it to the shop to get it done correctly..... but thats just my 2 cents....

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I swear, I am amazed with every single one of these "WTF is up with my TTB" threads. My truck has almost 180,000 miles and to my knowledge nothing in the front end has been replaced. My tires don't go crazy when I back up, in fact I back up on purpose when I park becuase it makes the truck sit level.

In reality there is nothing wrong with the TTB when it is maintained.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
The axle pivot bushings certainly help keep things in place. You may want to look at replacing those.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts