Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my battery cables. I want to replace all the wires, battery ground, to starter, to alternator, etc... about how much wire should I buy? going to run out on my lunch brake and will not be at my truck until late tonight.
Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
You can get the upgraded harness off of EBay for $70 shipped. Mine has been great so far. I did bust my starter solenoid removing the old cable, it was plastic. The new one is metal.

Rich

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
5-6ft of black to do both cables (batt to frame / frame to block)
10ft of red for: (batt to starter relay / alt to starter relay / starter relay to starter)

Best stuff money can buy:
http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=22
To the best of my knowledge, I have the ground cable going to the block and that flat ground wire going to the body. That is ok right?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
the original ground has a flag terminal in the middle. It routes from the battery to the frame, then continues on to the block.

It's a really bad design, but it saved Ford money.
That middle flag terminal opens the whole thing to corrosion.
It's best to replace it with 2 independant cables

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I ball parked mine with string

then whipped down to Canajian Tire and bought those pre-made one gauge terminal wires with flattened ends with 3/8" holes already drilled in em'.

Cheap as heck, several colours to choose from and they come in sizes graduated every 6".

I just sawed one end off the part I was going to attach to the batter terminal and added one of the stereo clamps (for plenty of ports to add grounds too).

Sixlitre

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
the original ground has a flag terminal in the middle. It routes from the battery to the frame, then continues on to the block.

It's a really bad design, but it saved Ford money.
That middle flag terminal opens the whole thing to corrosion.
It's best to replace it with 2 independant cables
I am gettin ready to order some cable from you Ryan. I was gonna go with exactly what you had quoted lengthwise in your post. One question... what IS the best way to get the dual heavy gauge wire from the battery to both destinations? Ford used (on my 95 at least) a terminal that has two cables coming directly from it (on both the positive and negative) to their destination. I was thinking of using the fat stereo/clamp style like Six has pictured and twisting the wires from both cables togther, then clamping them into the terminal and routing them, but I really dont like that idea much..... any suggestions?? Maybe some type of fusable link that has one side run into it and two out?? I have looked up the threads on this but dont remember this specific thing being addressed....

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I was thinking of using the fat stereo/clamp style like Six has pictured and twisting the wires from both cables togther, then clamping them into the terminal and routing them, but I really dont like that idea much..... any suggestions??
You don't have to twist them together at all

The stereo clamp has at least two holes bug enough(and lots more smaller) to clamp two separate "0" gauge wires into it completely separately.

Secondly your first wire/cable runs from the clamp to the frame. The second is secured at the frame as well (the bolt passes through both cable's terminal holes securing them together against the frame) and then carries on alone to the engine block.

As Ryan said it's best to secure two separate independent cables. If you haven't planned far enough ahead to order Ryans (and Halflife sounded like he needed them that night), my plan would work too (though not as professionally as Ryans).

No need to twist anything together.;)

Sixlitre

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
what IS the best way to get the dual heavy gauge wire from the battery to both destinations? Ford used (on my 95 at least) a terminal that has two cables coming directly from it (on both the positive and negative) to their destination. I was thinking of using the fat stereo/clamp style like Six has pictured and twisting the wires from both cables togther, then clamping them into the terminal and routing them, but I really dont like that idea much..... any suggestions?? Maybe some type of fusable link that has one side run into it and two out?? I have looked up the threads on this but dont remember this specific thing being addressed....
Personally I hate those gold plated stero crap. They are not sealed, can't provide an even crimp on the wire, and look cheezy.
This is the best way to bring multiple large cable together:

Fuseable links are old technology, they catch on fire when blowing, don't use them. Use a Mega-Fuse to protect a large draw circuit, also avalibe on my stie: http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=15

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Personally I hate those gold plated stero crap. They are not sealed, can't provide an even crimp on the wire, and look cheezy.
]

But this one worked so well for me;)

Sixlitre

·
Registered
192 Posts
For the best results for the old F150 and bronco's would be to not cut them cheap emergency fix clamps. They do not seal off like they should and and the secret to a good battery cable or any type of wiring is good sealed connections. Go to your local NAPA store and purchase clamps with cable alreay soildered in for a great connection. This will also have 2 wires comming off for wires to be inserted and clamped down with a bolts with a good crimp.

Make sure you get big enough cable and don't over lengthen it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts