Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Ford Bronco
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, thinking about buying this bronco but idk if it’s worth the price they are asking for.

how much would you pay for it?

Description:
1986 FORD BRONCO 4X4 . MILEAGE 624142 BUT SURE IT FLIPED. WAS WELL TOKEN CARE OF. NEVADA VEHICLE. CLEAN NEW MEXICO TITLE. WAS GOING TO USE FOR BUSINESS DECIDED NOT TO. HAS 305 EFI ENGINE, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, RANCHO SUSPENSION LIFT, PRO COMP REAR SHOCKS, REMOVABLE HARD TOP. INTERIOR IN FAIR SHAPE. HAS VERY LITTLE RUST.
OVER ALL BRONCO IS IN GOOD CONDITION FOR ITS AGE. NEEDS A LITTLE TLC!

the Bronco doesn’t run

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,298 Posts
I’ve never been a fan of the 5.0, especially the 1st gen of efi on the 5.0’s in a bricknose. They have some quirky stuff that is different than all the other years. Never been a fan of AOD transmissions either.... I wouldn’t go for much more than a grand. Honestly if it were me, I’d look for something with a 351w or a 300 i6. But most normal people would just look for one with a 351w

·
Registered
1984 Ford Bronco
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve never been a fan of the 5.0, especially the 1st gen of efi on the 5.0’s in a bricknose. They have some quirky stuff that is different than all the other years. Never been a fan of AOD transmissions either.... I wouldn’t go for much more than a grand. Honestly if it were me, I’d look for something with a 351w or a 300 i6. But most normal people would just look for one with a 351w
Sweet, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
2500. up to 3500 if he gives me a weekend with the truck and pays for any parts I need to get it running/driving. but they're expensive around me. almost double the price of arizona/new mexico area.

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo Rod,
$1,200.00

Our Navy Federal Credit Union suggests using https://www.nadaguides.com for finding the "value" of a vehicle.

VINCheck® by National Insurance Crime Bureau is a free service provided to the public to assist in determining if a"... vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by cooperating NICB member insurance companies. To perform a search, a vehicle identification number (VIN) is required. A maximum of five searches can be conducted within a 24-hour period per IP address." @ VINCheck® | National Insurance Crime Bureau

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

AOD; look for leaks around pan from (front) Pump seal. Observe color and odor of the fluid. It should be red, not brown or black. Dark brown or black fluid that has distinct burnt odor, indicates a transmission in need of repair or overhaul.
Odor may indicate overheating condition, clutch disc or band failure. Use an absorbent white facial tissue and wipe the fluid level indicator. Examine the stain for evidence of solid particles and for engine coolant signs (gum or varnish on fluid level indicator).
If particles are present in the fluid or there is evidence of engine coolant or water, the transmission pan must be removed for further inspection.

Cash is King!!!
When Richard Rawling, star of TV show Fast N' Loud was growing up in Fort Worth, Texas, his dad, Raymond Rawlings always had a car or a motorcycle lying around. “It wasn’t the nicest or the best, but it was his,” the younger Rawlings says. Ray wasn’t much of a mechanic, more of a detailer and a tinkerer. On weekends, the guys in the neighborhood would come over, mess around with whatever car Ray had at the time and drink beer in the garage.
One of those guys who came around also taught Rawlings a lesson about negotiating that he still carries with him: “I was around 13. He said, ‘Son, you could buy a $10,000 car all day long for five grand if you have it in your pocket. Always carry cash.’ ”

A summary of questions to ask the seller;
Do you have the maintenance records?
Do you have the title in hand and is there a lien on the Bronco?
How do I get the title?
Has the vehicle been in any accidents?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would say about 1k as well. I paid 500 for my 86 in similar condition, that was 2016 though.

Nothing wrong with a 5.0. While they might not have the low end grunt of the i6 or 351w. They are still great engines, easy to work on, cheap parts and they can take abuse.

If you need more lowend grunt gear it aggressively especially since it has an aod. Aod is also not a bad transmission, can be rebuilt using late model 4r70w parts to handle whatever you can throw at it. Or swap a 4r70w in and use a standalone controller.

Advantages of having factory efi are you can easily do a maf conversion, convert to the 87 and up serpentine belt and air box set up to clean up under the hood.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,444 Posts
Remind me to never put my Bronco up for sale on here. lol. You guys would be telling me to pay you to take it.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,323 Posts
I’m with @Doosenberry
I paid $150 fir mine a looooooong time ago. So $400 is all I’d go for a non runner.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L E40D push button shift with manual hubs should be auto hubs has 148.000 miles
12 Posts
I'm with most everyone $1000.
Is the most I would pay also for a 80's model 5.0 non running rusted Bronco.
The concern I would have is why if it was always in a dry climate did it rust?
Yes the 80's and early 90's were known for rust issues.
I purchased a 96 Eddie Bauer 5.8 with 134187 miles showing on the digital odometer with an E40D trans push button 4X4 needed minor work to get it street legal that is it needed a turn signal switch then it pass.
I looked at several other Bronco's in my area and there was two others that were the same price and they needed lots more work they were rusted out all over mine has one rust spot about the size of a dime just behind the driver's door but I payed $4000.00 for mine have since rebuilt the front end replaced the water pump thermostat and replaced the alternator

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
439 Posts
I wouldn't pay over $1200 for a non running bronco. I do however have a soft spot for the 86 due to the efi and nice body style. I would try to verify the issues, and possibly loom fot a driving example instead. It's easier to diagnose other components when it drives, who knows how well the brakes, steering, shocks,etc feel on the road.

Tailgate rust is typical, also nevada gets some salt so be sure to check the fenders and undercarriage. I like the long arm lift, don't tell the seller that though.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,444 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Ford Bronco
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The guy was originally asking for $6750, but I was able to talk him down to $5700. Then asked for y’alls advice and decided not to get it. Thank y’all for the help!

·
Foolsize Member
1,570 Posts
5700$ for a non running 86 with rust? lol
You can buy 2-3 running broncos for that much in this part of the country

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully my recent purchase will give you some perspective. I recently bought an 84 XLT Bronco with a 5.8 and C6 auto for $500. Non running with a cracked block because the owner didn’t check the antifreeze. This was a one owner Bronco w/65,000 miles and a pretty nice interior except for the drivers seat. The guy mostly used it on 3 hour trips to the beach and then took it out on the sand and went fishing for his vacations. The good, perfect frame, floors, mounting points and suspension. Optional factory aluminum wheels. The bad, needs a new hood due to bad previous repair (something must have fallen on it). Outer sheet metal on all four fenders (upper wheel arches) need rust repair and bottom seam of tailgate is rusty. It’s puzzling to me how the under side of the truck looks like it’s from Arizona and some of the outer sheet metal is typical of a truck coming from Maryland where we use salt and brine all winter long. Overall its complete and unmodified. I originally bought this truck for the wheels and have decided it’s too nice to part out so it’s in line for a restoration after I finish my current project. I think $1,000 for that ‘86 is a generous offer based on what I see. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts