Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
My 1998 Windstar with a 3.8L 6 cyl engine had a six pack (really three coils in one) waste spark ignition system. I had a missfire and transmission stumbling issue. My mechanic said it was my coil, and that I should just swap it out. It ended up being my electronic transmission range sensor.

At any rate, although I paid extra to get a Motorcraft coil, when I got it home, the box said... Motorcraft, made in China.

I wouldn't change out the coil unless it fails.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,251 Posts
Years ago when I used to frequent the salvage yards and Ford pickups were plentiful, I'd grab a coil every time I went..I've got plenty of spares and have never needed to use one..

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Went to swap in the Ford Performance ignition coil wire.

Found the coil side male connector to be a skinny stamped piece of metal that looks like a fork prong!:mad:
Appears to be half, or less, surface area compared to the cap connector.:mad::mad:

So I ordered the Motorcraft ignition coil.

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
357 Posts
I bought an aftermarket Jegs coil. Still going after 10 years. I kept the original OEM coil in the cubby as a spare along with a spare spark plug wire, a spare top hat hub, and an OBDI scan tool. With today's aftermarket or OEM replacement products you should really keep a spare of everything vital on board.

Reactions: CDA 455

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ford Motorcraft Ignition coil just arrived.

Made in Poland? 🤔

·
Registered
104 Posts
just throw a spare coil, icm and complete distributor in toolbox. Thats what I did, went thru I don't know how many junk "new" icms on my 89 until I found a nos motorcraft on ebay. Course mine doesnt have the remote icm

Ive never had an oem tfi coil fail

Theres a couple sellers who stock a bunch of nos stuff

Reactions: CDA 455

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Went to swap in the Ford Performance ignition coil wire.

Found the coil side male connector to be a skinny stamped piece of metal that looks like a fork prong!:mad:
Appears to be half, or less, surface area compared to the cap connector.:mad::mad:

So I ordered the Motorcraft ignition coil.
Bumper Gas Camera lens Reflex camera Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

21 - 27 of 27 Posts